• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

German STORCH of WWII

Another Ahab

Other rare weapons
Panzerfaust 150 and 250.
Vampire night vision equipment
SdKfz251/17 through 23 versions and especially the Uhl (owl) with the night vision equipment
Panzer I Ausf F (twin MG heavy armored version)
Panzer I Ausf C (with the equally rare EW141 heavy machine gun)
Kummerlauf curved barrel design for the StG44
Sturmtiger

I could go on and on. There are literally thousands of designs
Don't recall the source right now, but somewhere read that is was the big reverse after Stalingrad that kicked-off the Wunderwaffen (Wonder Weapons) program:

- No such program existed before 1943, but immediately following the loss of Paulus and The Sixth Army, all of that changed

- Personnel rosters everywhere were gathered and screened, and anybody with any kind of prior science/research background was pulled from the ranks (motorpools, trenches, field kitchens, anywhere, and everywhere), and given carte blanche with unlimited resources in state-of-the-art laboratory facilities, and instructed to "make it happen"

- Because Hitler (and his Command) realized: it had all just hit the fan

trouble.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Call It a Day

CONCLUSION II.jpg

The Fieseler Storch was designed to fill the same role as the American Piper L-4 Grasshopper.

Developed by Germany in the mid-1930s, the Storch could fly at 32 mph under full control, land with a roll of less than 45 feet (15m), and take-off in under 150 feet (50m).

The video below claims the Storch was "operationally inferior" to the L-4 (doing almost the same job at a third of the weight of the Storch and with only 65 hp).

But the video was produced by the victor and not the vanquished, and the minor detail that so many varied allied operators commandeered captured Storchs for their own use during the war, says something about the effectiveness of the Fielseler Storch.

The point soon became moot however as the rapid introduction of he helicopter essentially eliminated any need for STOL aircraft altogether.

http://youtu.be/81pI76vjBr8

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 527953

The Fieseler Storch was designed to fill the same role as the American Piper L-4 Grasshopper.

Developed by Germany in the mid-1930s, the Storch could fly at 32 mph under full control, land with a roll of less than 45 feet (15m), and take-off in under 150 feet (50m).

The video below claims the Storch was "operationally inferior" to the L-4 (doing almost the same job at a third of the weight of the Storch and with only 65 hp).

But the video was produced by the victor and not the vanquished, and the minor detail that so many varied allied operators commandeered captured Storchs for their own use during the war, says something about the effectiveness of the Fielseler Storch.

The point soon became moot however as the rapid introduction of he helicopter essentially eliminated any need for STOL aircraft altogether.

That's quite a comment....

Especially since the author omitted any and all reference to the fact that the commandeered aircraft were FREE, readily available when allied equipment was hard to requisition, functional and operational, and its use as captured hardware would further demoralize the Germans who observed their equipment being operated by the ever more effective Allied Forces.

But every author editorializes - be it conscious or not.

In another example, Allied GI's often "secured" their Jeeps by simply removing the distributor rotor from under the cap if the Jeep had to be abandoned. Unfortunately, this also made them such an easy target as "FREE TRANSPORATION" that the Germans issued rotors to many units so that captured Jeeps could be used to their benefit. It had NOTHING to do with superiority of the Jeep over their utility vehicles, it was ALL about the availability of the hardware and the ease with which it could be commandeered.

Much as the Multi-Fuel Engine is DESIGNED to burn scavenged fuels on the battlefield, commandeering abandoned resources is basic to battlefield success.

Last edited:

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Chaplain - ... You are one of the most honorable and forthright men I haven't had the opportunity to meet face to face. I look forward to the day that I can shake your hand and thank you for your service to this great nation.
I can happily say I have had the honour.
I met John at a time of great personal distress, while burying a good man. Not in John's own professional status, but as one honouring our fallen man. He is every bit the fine gentleman you suspect him of being. I am well pleased to have shaken his hand, and look forward to the next time we meet, though I wish for better circumstances.

Cheers

Another Ahab

I can happily say I have had the honour.
I met John at a time of great personal distress, while burying a good man. Not in John's own professional status, but as one honouring our fallen man. He is every bit the fine gentleman you suspect him of being. I am well pleased to have shaken his hand, and look forward to the next time we meet, though I wish for better circumstances.

Cheers
The Office of the Chaplain is deserving of (and personally draws my total) respect, as does the special kind of individual who steps up to fill the role:

- Nothing simple or easy about the responsibilities.

Not my pleasure to meet our Chaplain in person, but I certainly add my gratitude here to that of ODFever and M813rc for everything he does for all of us here. I can never give enough thanks.

In fact, being reminded here, I'm going to be sending an annual contribution to the SS Benevolence Fund, and encourage consideration of the same for those who see this (the link is in ColdWarrior's signature).

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gentlemen,
I am humbled by your compliments. Respectfully, we probably ought to keep this thread on topic.

Yet, to follow that train of thought to closure....
Ahab, I am honored to meet any and every SteelSoldier, Veteran, etc as God grants such privilege to me.
Rory, your words truly humble me. As we laid Officer Jaime Padron to rest, you had indeed suffered a great personal loss. I had known him mostly through his brother, Johnny, with whom I had worked for about 13 years. I had met him though, and his character was readily apparent. You, Sir, were there for his family, your officers, and for your friend and coworker, and unwittingly for me as well. In our darkest hour kindred spirits are revealed, exposed, and solidified. Thank you.
You have also stepped up to the plate when others had needs. It is my honor to serve along side you.

Many here are blessings to the others. I can merely say....

We now return to the original topic of this thread. Carry on.

Another Ahab

Many here are blessings to the others. I can merely say....

We now return to the original topic of this thread. Carry on.
Oh, Man; I keep forgetting:

- Every thread has an OP.

Let's see, I think maybe it had something to do with a Starch. Or was it a Storch?

And maybe also Flying. Or was that Frying!?

frying.jpg

Last edited:

Another Ahab

Ankle Bone Connected to the Leg Bone

Accidentally discovered a connection of the Storch with another notable German aircraft of WWII:

- The ME-163 Komet

Here's the text excerpt from Wikipedia

Production of a prototype series started in early 1941, known as the Me 163. Secrecy was such that the RLM's "GL/C" airframe number, 8-163, was actually that of the earlier, pre-July 1938 Messerschmitt Bf 163 project to produce a small two-passenger light aircraft, which had unsuccessfully competed against the winning Fieseler Fi 156 Storch for a production contract. It was thought that intelligence services would conclude any reference to the number "163" would be for that earlier design.

Komet.jpg
Me 163A V4 prototype, in 1941.

Last edited:

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Storch restoration

- Fieseler Storch is #7 in the line-up

http://www.ba-bamail.com/content_135...aul_Allen.aspx
a bit more...........
Fiesler Fi 156-C2 Storch: The only one of his planes that Allen has flown in, the Storch is known for its unrivalled ability to take off and land in extremely small spaces. That capability allowed German Special Forces to rescue Italian dictator Benito Mussolini in a daring daytime raid on a small mountain plateau. It also delivered the infamous suitcase bomb to the site of the attempted assassination of Adolph Hitler.

Last edited:

BiffJ

These comments are commonly made by folks who have no experience with what they're talking about. I have flying time in the Cub and riding time in a Storch and they are not equal in utility.
If you're talking about Artillery forward observation then its possible you could say the cub would do the same job for a lot less money and time invested. All you need is a pair of eyes where they can see the impact area and high enough to talk to the guys launching the shells (bombs too). On the other hand there are jobs way beyond the simple observer which were done by both planes throughout the war. I love the cub (L4) and really enjoy flying them but not if I have to go more than 50 miles. They are really slow....65-75mph slow. The Storch isn't a speed demon by any stretch but it is faster at 95-100mph. Both of them use about the same amount of runway in both directions but the flaps and slats on the Storch allow a much steeper approach and departure so it opens up more possibilities for landing and takeoff sites. The cub with 2 guys and a radio (WWII style radio) is about at its gross weight. 65 roarin horsepower just doesn't allow you to carry a lot of useful load. When they did up ambulance versions I think they had a little more power....like 80HP and they left the second guy out so they could carry a guy on a stretcher. Now we look at the Storch and see that there is room in the rear seat for 2 normal sized soldiers. They frequently carried 2 + the pilot and had no issues. They could use them for ambulances as well or carry supplies, tools and parts. I remember reading a book about a Waffen SS Soldier who was left with his tank in a little russian village because the clutch died. After about 3 weeks a Storch showed up with the parts and a mechanic to install them. (probably the tools too) Much as I love the Cub it couldn't have done that. The video guy is comparing a 2 seat smart car with a Skoda Octavia and trying to make it sound like the Octavia is a waste of time because it cost more......

Just a few thoughts at no extra charge.

Frank

Another Ahab

YouTube has an algorithm for me or something i guess, and this vid popped up today.

Funny because it's a compilation of three separate film reels, and the second of the three mentions the German rescue of Mussilini, and the third mentions how it was unsuccessful:

https://youtu.be/VDcB0pSUYOI

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks