• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Get rid of that biodiesel, for new MV buys

youngunbd

biodiesel would rot the rubber lines anyways. being a biodiesel guy myself, i have a natural hate for ethanol, beyond the facts that it sucks. go up above 7000 feet in the mountains and they cant sell gasoline with ethanol in it, fill up, come home, and get 24 mpg in a 1/2 ton pickup

most of the times that i have seen biodiesel or veggy oil stored for long term (2+ years) they vacuumed out the air and replaced it with nitrogen. it was exactly the same as when it went in, but yeah letting it sit for a long time will degrade it

edit: I know i have looked up the appleseed but i forget, does it involve wet or dry washing?

thinblueline65

The only problem I had with bio diesel in the past was temp. If you dont heat the fuel it turns into a gel in a cold enviroment. But that was on road tractors, as far as the multi fuel i would imagine its the same way. The injectors on a multifuel squirt like a water gun so i doubt they would give any trouble. Those running biodiesel in a multifuel have you had any problems with injectors?

Amram

The only problem I had with bio diesel in the past was temp. If you dont heat the fuel it turns into a gel in a cold enviroment. But that was on road tractors, as far as the multi fuel i would imagine its the same way. The injectors on a multifuel squirt like a water gun so i doubt they would give any trouble. Those running biodiesel in a multifuel have you had any problems with injectors?
How do you keep fuel heated that is in the fuel tank? Do they make fuel tank warmers? Also would mixing a small amount of kerosene in with the biodiesel help with the gelling issue?

thinblueline65

there is an element that goes in the fuel tank or another design that attaches to the bottom of the tank like a block heater. I have seen them on volkswagon and mercedes diesel's that have been converted to run on striaght veg oil. I have worked on one, so thats the extent of my experience with them. I have thought it would be neat to do something like that to my m35a2 depending on how the injectors would handle it.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
How do you keep fuel heated that is in the fuel tank? Do they make fuel tank warmers? Also would mixing a small amount of kerosene in with the biodiesel help with the gelling issue?
Ask Cranetruck, he built a duel tank system with one heated

GreenBull

It's well established that Bio reacts with Dino and the galvanic factor complicates things. Clean and fresh is one thing but time and multiple variables is another.

My advice would be to go with what works for you but I wouldn't leave any bio/dino blend in my system for to long.

IMO Biodiesel makes no sense if you have cheap solvents like gasoline to blend with waste oils.

youngunbd

but what about the folks who have no access to waste oils? My friends parents run a restaurant chain, guess where their oil goes? gotta love redneck chemists though :cookoo:

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The heating was provided by running coolant from the engine cooling system through the tank.
I would recommend to use the biofuels in the Summertime only, the fuel gets to about 125°F simply from the return fuel and the ambient temp.
Starting on diesel and switching to veggie oil works good. Wouldn't wast time making biodiesel, simply mix filtered veggie oil with diesel or kerosene.

Because of the mess, I will not run it in my 8x8 and most of the extra features on the 6x6 are long gone.

Attachments

JCole

B100 thickens when it gets around freezing level. B50 and B20 have less of an issue.

I used to haul B100 back into Canada, 28 metric tons at a time up that ****ty I-5.

Basically, even with a copper fuel system, b5 or b20 is perfectly safe unless you are in the arctic or something. Just plan on doing some initial maintenance when you first start running it.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Air Force (at least at SHAW AFB) has a **** of a time with fuel systems due to this. BUT- it is only in the newer flightline tugs. They apparently have a rubber membrane in the fuel tank, and the bio eats it and it slowly makes its way through the fuel system- not good.

They have been rebuilding the fuel systems, putting on steel tanks with no liners, and then they don't see the tug again for fuel issues. I have been using a B-20 blend in the locomotives. Built in 1953. Steel tanks. And they do sit around a lot now, they are run maybe once a week or every other week. Haven't had a bit of trouble.

Just my 2cents

I have a 2004 dodge 2500 with 224,000 miles, I've burned kero, bio, WVO, diesel, WMO, etc and have had 0 fuel system issues. The truck is completely stock. And I get 30mpg average.

I had that red sludge in my M915 when I bought it- I got it out with Biodiesel!

youngunbd

Yeah whenever I get people started on b100 I always tell them to carry around a fuel filter and the tool to change it and learn how ahead of time, after about 4 full tanks it should have dislodged most everything. One guy had to change his fuel filter 3 times before it finally stopped clogging it, it must have finally gotten all the crud from petrol diesel!

To each his own!:grd:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks