• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

getting 65 mph with lower rpms ( lift and tire swap)

im buying a cucv pickup and want to install a 4 inch lift by just having the springs re arched. im looking to run a bigger tire (mabey hummer tires) to get to 65 mph with out really having the eng tacked out.im not really interested in a trans swap at this time. any ideas. is the re arch or adding more springs worse than a standard 4 inch lift. and will i gain mph by doing this. thanks

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please do not re-arch your springs. They will just settle over time and then you will need another fix. In additon to additional height, you also need more leafs for additional strength. The best way is to simply purchase new springs with the lift built into them. What do you plan to do about the rear lift?

jgb680

It's way cheaper to buy the caliper brackets and then go to an auto parts store and buy the calipers, hoses, and pads. This is what I did in my m1008. They make a lot of money off you when they sell the kits.

i will go with new i didnt want to go with a lift because it didnt seem like it had as many leaves. i didnt want to loose my carrying capasity. will i need to go 4 inch to run hummer tires or can i get away with 2 inches.. thanks

Skinny

I normally don't recommend this but if you are looking to retain the load carrying capacity of the stock CUCV 10+1 leaf setup, I would run rear steel blocks.

MilChevyguy

.....I checked out the disc brake links and this is def a mod that the M1010 would benifit from due to the weight of that box...I guess I have to verify the rear end in it to make sure, I think in the TM it shows the M1010 with only 1 rear end option but now I cant find it...anyone out there do a swap or recall the info?

24 to 12 volt & wheel clearince

. i know must guys dont like messing with original things but i was wondering what type of job is it to convert to 12 volt. $$ and time. and is a 2 inch lift enough for hummer tires to clear. thanks-- sorry for the multiple questions.--

emr

There is a search function on this site, for questions like this that are asked a few bazzilion times, But to be honest the best reason for using it is you will get enough answers to fine tune questions and just learn a ton more, good luck.

tm america

The cucv has two 12 volt alts making up the 24 volt system.. i would say do a search first but if you don't find what you are looking for you might wanna pm doghead as he is super familiar with the electrical systems on those trucks and there is a couple good fixes he came up with that you might be interested in to..

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

bigburb11

The pickup trucks are usually higher in back before lifting (opposite of the blazers)...

I'd recommend trimming the front fenders slightly, doing a ~2.5" front spring lift, and a 2" rear block. Dropped pitman arm or raised steering arm also and adjust your front bump stops as needed.

The higher you lift it, the more you'll want crossover steering...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you ever experienced issues with blocks?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks