• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting a BRDM street legal

kcimb

Oh boy..what a beating.

Go to DMV on Granbury rd in Fort Worth, tx, can't do it due to not being titled. That's fine.

Go to DMV on gravel road in Fort Worth, can't get it titled with a bonded title until it gets inspected by an auto theft officer and a rebuilt vehicle form done.

Ugh. Stay tuned for more info!

B3.3T

Be very thankful you at least live in a free state that will allow you to title it. We are very lucky in Ohio, too. But lots of states it will not happen. A few hoops but once its done you are home free... Good Luck with it.

Igglord

Hi I live in Indiana and I wanted to know if it was possible to make a BRDM2 or a OT64 SKOT that was shipped in from the Czech Republic street legal here in the United States? The sight that I would be purchasing these from would be mortarinvestments.eu

datadawg

No idea about Indiana, but most states have special rules for antique vehicles that are far more permissive than usual. For example, in PA, you can register an antique vehicle if it's older than 25 years, without getting it inspected. I have a British Saracen (6 wheel drive armored personnel carrier) and it's registered and street legal with antique plates. But every state is different, you should contact your DMV.

Igglord

Thanks I'll be sure to check with the dmv about getting one registered as an antique since they both were made in the 60s and 70s. Hopefully everything will checkout well.

dmetalmiki

The bdrm is a better vehicle for ease of (vision in) driving. The OT skott is terrible. No other word for it if you plan driving on road or in town. Maintenance is very difficult. I had one and was actually going to cut the front plates and fit glass, but it was too much for me to tackle. My next 'item' is coming from mortar investments if I can get the funds. DO NOT N.O.T! buy from U.K. seller. if looking at U.K. pm me first.
As a thought, if you like things Russian, try for something on the Tatra 8x8 chassis.
they swim..good appearance, tough engine, driver vizability is far better. (well, better than')

Attachments

kcimb

The brdm is pleasant to drive even solo but it’s much better with an A-driver. Good visibility out the front and sides with the mirrors. Can fit 4 chaps inside too.

L1A1

As a thought, if you like things Russian, try for something on the Tatra 8x8 chassis.
they swim..good appearance, tough engine, driver vizability is far better. (well, better than')
If I recall correctly, the BTR60s-80s are too wide to drive on American roads w/o a wide load permit. Passively thought about getting one about 15 years ago and that was one of the things that killed it for me. BRDM is a much better vehicle.

Matt

L1A1

A couple of BTR60s have come up for sale State side within the last decade. The sellers weren't asking crazy prices either (like 25k). Perhaps if I had a "Texas sized" ranch ;-) to drive one around on I wouldn't be concerned with the width.

I'll be going through a similar adventure as you as I need to get a title for my ferret......

Matt

B3.3T

A couple of BTR60s have come up for sale State side within the last decade. The sellers weren't asking crazy prices either (like 25k). Perhaps if I had a "Texas sized" ranch ;-) to drive one around on I wouldn't be concerned with the width.

I'll be going through a similar adventure as you as I need to get a title for my ferret......

Matt
The BTR-60 is overwidth for US roads as per DOT regs. It cannot be licensed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks