• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting a Date for my M35A2

asteeleks

New to the group and I know this has been asked but I can not find it. I have a M35A2 with a serial # of M-25035. From the digging I have done it's a South Bend (Studebaker) built truck. I am getting the title work done to get it road legal and need help with the year. It has the Multi Fuel turbo engine so I am putting it in the 1961-1964 year range. Any help would be great.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Shows to be a 1952. see attached. Paint registration number 4C1714 on the hood. Your truck served well into the 2000's.

Attachments

asteeleks

Shows to be a 1952. see attached. Paint registration number 4C1714 on the hood. Your truck served well into the 2000's.
It is only showing 20,000 miles and judging by the lack of wear and everything functions correctly. My son and I both agree that the miles look to be accurate. If it is a 1952 then it's not the correct engine. From what we found doing research the Multi fuel didn't get used until the 1960's

asteeleks

It is only showing 20,000 miles and judging by the lack of wear and everything functions correctly. My son and I both agree that the miles look to be accurate. If it is a 1952 then it's not the correct engine. From what we found doing research the Multi fuel didn't get used until the 1960's
Not to be a pain but where did this information come from. I would like to provide the Titling Officer as much information as I can.

asteeleks

Thank you for the Information. It clears up a lot. It also explains some modification we found. Like it being changed from a horizontal to vertical exhaust. Again Thank you and sorry for being a pain inthe ass

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your truck would NOT "appear" to carry the wear and tear of a 1950's vintage vehicle because....

1. These trucks were sent through various rebuild programs as routine procedure. Hence, about the only thing you can actually say with any certainty was original equipment or parts would be the FRAME/CHASSIS that the Serial Number is stamped onto.

2. Depending on the level of the rebuild program, it is entirely possible that the truck was one of a "batch" that were all completely disassembled down to EVERY nut and bolt. Then the rotten parts were discarded, subsequently reassembling as many useable trucks as possible with the remaining salvageable parts, buying only what parts their project's contract budget would allow to complete a few more to "sell back" to operational units..

3. NEVER trust the odometer or hour meter records on the gauges in the vehicle.
3a. In a rebuild, both miles and hours are reset to ZERO.
3b. In the field, the motor pool sergeant would send his junior wrench-turners out to random trucks with instructions to remove and replace (aka swap between trucks) any number of whole instrument clusters or individual gauges "just for practice or training purposes". Unlike the Civilian World where "rolling back an odometer is a CRIME, in the service of Uncle Sam the practice is both common and justified.

HENCE, the only thing that the 22,000 miles showing on your truck's odometer can legitimately say is that the ODOMETER has been installed in any number of trucks for a cumulative total of miles as shown on the meter. PERIOD ! Do not ASSUME that the mileage shown came from your truck only, nor that the odometer presently in your truck is the only truck that the odometer has ever been installed in.

asteeleks

I own a few old civilian vehicles so I don’t trust the odometer on any of them. Thats why my son and I looked for wear and tear. Our old girl looks and runs better than my ‘84 Chevy. By springtime we’ll have the brakes rebuilt and the bugs shaken out.

runk

recent thread with some related info

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks