• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

getting a deuce tomorrow

bjsmith

i'm going pick up a deuce tomorrow i have a couple to choose from. one of them has the box on the back of it is it just mounted to top of normal bed or is it one unit? ifit is seperate is it hard to remove? i dont want to box one but if its it better shape i will get it because they are all the same price

mckeeranger

i'm going pick up a deuce tomorrow i have a couple to choose from. one of them has the box on the back of it is it just mounted to top of normal bed or is it one unit? ifit is seperate is it hard to remove? i dont want to box one but if its it better shape i will get it because they are all the same price
If by "box" you mean it is an M109, then it is in place of a regular bed. You would have to replace it. It is possible someone on here would trade a good cargo bed, if the 109 box is in good shape, but there are no guarantees.

The truck in the picture is an M109A3:

Attachments

Crawdaddy

If it's the one I'm thinking of, it claims to be a box bolted onto the top of a cargo bed which can be removed to reveal the cargo bed. When you go up there, try to check out all the deuces he has, and let me know what condition they're in. I'm planning on getting one from him soon. Also let me know how the titling/insurance/registration process goes.

bjsmith

yes im excited. will let you know about all the legal stuff but he says he has titles some of them and if the one i want does not he will get one. just hope i dont drive up there and they are in real rough shape because i seen one closer for more money that looks to be in decent shape from pics

Crawdaddy

When I spoke to Chris, he claimed that all the trucks were "runners", but to what condition, he wasn't very clear. So long as I can drive it the 200 miles to get it home, it's all good. The whole titling and insurance issues are what worry me, since I will have to drive it home. Thanks for checking things out for me!

Jimma

If they say its a box bolted on its probably like mine had where there was a large frame box built for hauling equpment in so that it would be sheltered and dry. Many times the medical detachments would have that type box. They are usually bolted down and had a lot of heavy duty silicone adhesive to secure them with. If thats the case they are usually well built and can be used as a storage shed. Unbolt it, cut as much of the silicone as possible and use a crane or forklift to get it out. Ask Clinto about it. He can tell you step by step when he removed the one from the truck I currently own.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It might be that there is a commo shelter in the back...if so you can remove it (it was only secured in by the cables that held it to the bed).

A crane is the best way to remove one but if you find a rollback driver that knows what he is doing you can drag it out onto the rollback and then slide it onto the ground. There are skids built into the bottom of it.

I had one in one of my deuces for a while...they make great campers but you lose the value of having a cargo truck.

bjsmith

well made it home with only a leak on rear axle where the flange for axle bolts on. the guy has decent trucks some missing gauges mine is missing a couple but when he gets another parts truck with them he will ship them to me. most of the trucks he has are the m109 but does have a couple with cargo beds but they have electric problems with lights so he is going to fix that before he sells them. he is nice guy very helpfull he threw in a set of troop seats since i didn't want the box even though they need new wood i'm happy with it needs few things but nothing major

bjsmith

also he sells them with title but he does not apply till after sale so in few weeks when title comes in i have to go back and he signs over clear ms title witch sould make it easier to register here in la to what i been reading about it

Crawdaddy

So, did you drive it home with a license plate and insurance? I can't think of how I could get either without having the title in hand. I sure don't want to get pulled over and not have any documentation stating the truck is legal to be on the road. I'm glad he was so willing to work with you on the gauges. I was looking at getting a cargo truck from him, but I'll talk to him before I go up to make sure he has the electrical issues sorted out. Hopefully I'll have a similarly good experience.

Did either one of you offer to pull the missing gauges out of another truck on the spot? Seems he could have done that real quick and sent you on your way, then replaced the gauges in the truck with one out of his next parts truck. We'll see what happens. I'm really eager to get a deuce.

wsucougarx

Congratulations!! Welcome aboard! Trucks looks great. When you planning on getting deuce #2? I'm sure it's going through your mind...don't worry it's natural.8)