• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting a M108!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Found a M108 wrecker for sale, went a checked it out today. Rough looking, but complete, says it runs, but batteries are missing. Going Friday with Gimpy and deuce to tow it home, about 220 miles away.

Got a lot to learn about it, and some things are missing. Not planning to do much to it, just get it running and play with it. The truck has M135 rims with 12-20's on the front,and 9-20's in the rear.

Thanks for the ID Kenny, and sure we will be comparing notes in the future.

Sorry about the quailty of the pics, darn cellphone messed up
Dennis

Attachments

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats Dennis. It looks mosty complete and unmolested. It will serve great as a yard mule until you dial everything in. My intention was to use mine for just that until I locked up the gasser motor. Now it's almost ready for a roadtrip. Glad to see one that's not yellow. You're gonna have to let me know what you paid one day! Any idea of the year and mfr of it? Mine is a 53 Stude.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cool find! Good luck getting it home!
Ps, I'd rather see fuzzy pics than no pics at all. :drool: I'm gonna need a wrecker soon.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, a M108 in any condition is a find! Needs a coat of paint, some seat canvas, and a little sprucing up, and it will turn heads!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Re: RE: Getting a M108!

cranetruck said:
Nice find! With the different size tires, be careful using the six-wheel drive.
Should be fun with a sprag!

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not going to drive it at all until tires are changed. Plan on pulling the axle shafts, front hubs, and plumbing a air line to the air pack before towing it home. Needs lots of work, but at least I will have it in the pole barn.

The pics of the data plate didn't come out, will know more on friday.

Dennis

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
As long as one doesn't fall prey to that macho syndrome, the M108 is really a great compromise as a wrecker. What you sacrifice in capacity, you make up for in mobility, economy and simplified operation. They still fit in parking spaces at the grocery and have a little bit of a porch on the back. I like the fact that I can still manage moving the parts around. 5 to brake drums are a little heavy for this old boy to lug around. I hope you did OK on price Dennis. I paid $4300 for mine and frankly, quite happy with it at that price. Since the repower it would probably take a 10 large offer to get me to sell it.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't worry Kenny, price will be posted! Just trying not to get ahead of myself. Once it's home, all info is up for grabs.

Dennis

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks