• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting annoyed with my MEP-002a

Isaac-1

As some of you know I was having trouble a while back with the voltage going high on my MEP-002a after it had been running for a few minutes. Well now that the holidays are over and while we were having a few hours of nice warm weather today before the rain hits again I decided to go trouble shoot the problem. Started up the generator had a nice steady 120VAC, let it run for a while, still steady, added load, it drooped down to about 118VAC, but kept on going. Ended up running for about an hour with no problems, at least no voltage problems, however it seems my frequency meter transponder has died, with a nice 60-61 HZ showing on my Fluke meter the frequency needle now stays buried on the left side of the gauge and just twitches there. So the problem I went to fix has disappeared and a new unrelated one has popped up.

Ike

Carl_in_NH

Generator failure whack-a-mole. Problems that are static and consistent are much nicer to debug, but as I get older it seems fewer and fewer of them are that way.

edgephoto

I found on my unit the fuel pumps did not work when I got it. Traced the problem to a loose screw at the terminal strip in the control box. I checked all the screws and about 1/2 were loose. I checked them on my second unit and I did find a couple that were loose.

steelandcanvas

I checked the terminal strips for loose connections right after I bought my 003, I also found some that were in need of attention. Knowing Ike, I'm sure he has checked the strip connections for tightness. Depending on how often you run your MEP, I think checking these connections at least annually would be in order.

Grega

I dont know if this will work, but take the nuts off on back the control cabnit the hold the frequency transducer on. Sand down around the where the nut was and reinstall. This worked on one of my gennys. Must not have been getting connection. Or maybe it was just a fluke.

Milhouse

on the right side of the voltage regulator board are 2 output transistors, transistors can have intermittent problems as they heat up from use, if these are failing this may be the cause. They are easy to replace if you can solder, and can usually be found on e-bay etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks