• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting behind or under the dashboard M35A2

Redleg130

searched but really didn't find much.

I have an M35A2 and I need to do a couple things behind/under the dash. I got replacement heater hose sections to replace the rotten hose thats in it now. The 4in sections are easy to reach, but the 3in sections going to defroster vents are not. Also the low air pressure buzzer is intermittent and likely needs the connectors replaced. Both of these tasks would be straightforward, except for the part where no matter how I stuff my body in the cab, I cannot reach these things well enough to actually work on them. I have the parts, just cannot reach the places no matter which direction I come from, cushion and laying on floorboard from passenger or driver side isn't cutting it, and upside down isn't, so I am not sure how to tackle this.

Tips or getting pointed in a direction would be appreciated.

MG2936

searched but really didn't find much.

I have an M35A2 and I need to do a couple things behind/under the dash. I got replacement heater hose sections to replace the rotten hose thats in it now. The 4in sections are easy to reach, but the 3in sections going to defroster vents are not. Also the low air pressure buzzer is intermittent and likely needs the connectors replaced. Both of these tasks would be straightforward, except for the part where no matter how I stuff my body in the cab, I cannot reach these things well enough to actually work on them. I have the parts, just cannot reach the places no matter which direction I come from, cushion and laying on floorboard from passenger or driver side isn't cutting it, and upside down isn't, so I am not sure how to tackle this.

Tips or getting pointed in a direction would be appreciated.
get a small person to help you, friend of mine had the same problem, he is a big man and he had large hands. He asked me to help him because I had done it on my truck. I weigh 130 lbs and my hands were about half the size of his. Even for me I struggled a littlle. Not a fun job.

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I inadvertently discovered that you can see that unbelievably annoying buzzer from the passenger floor, it has one wire, it goes straight up to the bottom of the buzzer .

It's pretty much in the center of the firewall, wire came off pretty easy, absolutely by far the best mod I ever made to my deuce .

🇺🇸 👍 🍺

HDN

I feel your pain. I had to get under the dashboard of my truck to remove the tunnel to replace the engine's magnetic speed sensor on the bell housing. I could've removed the seat to make it easier but that seemed to be more trouble than it was worth at the time. So I sucked it up and did the job very uncomfortably, switching from the driver side and passenger side floor. I was also able to somewhat reach it from the engine bay, but it was a very tight fit as well, not to mention at the very limit of my arm's reach!

Redleg130

While messing with my M37, and watching some tactical repair videos, it occurred to me that the instrument cluster can come off, perhaps giving me access to the vent tubing and buzzer.

I looked around regarding the speedometer cable and saw where some folks have removed the speedometer cable from the cluster, which would give a bit more room to work.

there isn't much info on speedometers specifically, but it appears the cable interior spins with the drivetrain and is read magnetically inside the dash speedometer. The interior spinning cable is flexible and can spin even when curved.

If I were to disconnect the dash speedometer to gain some room, is there any trick to putting it back in? Having never done this before, I don't want to mess it up since the speedometer works.

Reactions: HDN

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is a dash I pulled some time ago. I wasn't trying to repair anything, rather salvage everything before it was scrapped.

Not hard to do for firewall repairs, if one disconnects everything, pops out the instrument cluster and pulls the Bowden cables from wherever.

20240324_101441.jpg

Sorry 'bout the chainfall in the way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks