• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting it all fixed.

helomech

Got my truck last week, and so far got the fuel gauge working, CTIS working, fuel filter changed, horn fixed, welded in a chain so I can lock the steering wheel, and I am now working on the last of the air leaks. It was leaking all the air out in about 2 hours. Now it is leaking about 20 psi in a hour. Found one more leak and hoping that does it.

Feels good to be making progress. Over all the truck is in really good condition. Only rust I see is a few spots on the bed.

MuleMac01

Military vehicle collector
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good job!!! keep it up...I'm happy my truck came from Gl with everything nothing missing. and everything works kind of taking all the fun away from having one huh? :p

helomech

Now I have to start spending money on mods. First is a hoist of some kind to get stuff in the bed. I already have the winch. Still waiting on the Title from the state of Texas.

zout

Mechanical first is top priority - body work is secondary., Learn the mechanics and operation of everything first - then work on the body - without the truck running you can have the prettiest truck in town but going no-where.

helomech

Only other thing I can think of is the left side front axle boot is leaking. I can't see a tear in it, but there is some grease or something leaking out a bit. Not enough to drip, but it stays wet. Guess I need to take care of that, but not looking forward to it.

helomech

Got it registered and got my license plates this morning. Have to wait till I get back from work in 7 days to get it inspected. According to the guys at the inspection place I have to rig up some license plate lights. I didn't think I needed them if it didn't come with them. I registered it as a normal vehicle so I would not have any restrictions on its use.

helmech, texas dosent require inspections on these trucks at least thats what they told me and you can get a lighted license plate that plugs into the truck wiring harness from "those military guys" for about 30 bucks. thats what I did with mine the hardest thing was drilling the holes for the license plate. did tey tell you you had to have it inspected? I dont think the dmv knows what or how to register these trucks. mine was registered a pickup truck because that was the closest thing to a truck they had on the list.

helomech

helmech, texas dosent require inspections on these trucks at least thats what they told me and you can get a lighted license plate that plugs into the truck wiring harness from "those military guys" for about 30 bucks. thats what I did with mine the hardest thing was drilling the holes for the license plate. did tey tell you you had to have it inspected? I dont think the dmv knows what or how to register these trucks. mine was registered a pickup truck because that was the closest thing to a truck they had on the list.
Do you know where I can find the info that this truck doesn't need an inspection? I want to be able to show a cop proof.

Thanks for the heads up on the license plate light. Will see if I can find it.

yeah I should have a copy of it. I keep a copy of the texas transportation code 7 in my truck just in case as well. that has all the rules and regs. I completely understand about being able to show the cops. I recently talked with one of my wifes friends who is a galveston county sherriff and asked her about the legalities of driving a 5 ton on the road and she told me as far as they were concerned if its a military vehicle they dont bother them unless they are doing something stupid. but I agree hope for the best prepair for the worst.

helomech

yeah I should have a copy of it. I keep a copy of the texas transportation code 7 in my truck just in case as well. that has all the rules and regs. I completely understand about being able to show the cops. I recently talked with one of my wifes friends who is a galveston county sherriff and asked her about the legalities of driving a 5 ton on the road and she told me as far as they were concerned if its a military vehicle they dont bother them unless they are doing something stupid. but I agree hope for the best prepair for the worst.

Cool thanks.

BTW I work down in Angleton. Heading there tonight for my 7 day hitch. I work at the Brazoria county airport.

I was reading the transportation code and it says that in order for the truck to qualify for not being inspected it has to be registered as an antique or fmv and has to be so many years old. i think since you registered it as a regular vehicle it has to be inspected.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks