• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting more and more interested in adding turbo to 1008

nattieleather

I got my parts a piece at a time and have about $500.00 in it total. I got the turbo and exhaust manifolds from ebay. The intake manifold from the local pull a part. The cross over from ebay. I wish I had found a whole set up to by at one time, but for me it didn't hurt the wallet getting a piece at a time. C-30 knows a lot about turboing these motors. I plan on picking his brain a lot more as my project moves forward.

I got my parts a piece at a time and have about $500.00 in it total. I got the turbo and exhaust manifolds from ebay. The intake manifold from the local pull a part. The cross over from ebay. I wish I had found a whole set up to by at one time, but for me it didn't hurt the wallet getting a piece at a time. C-30 knows a lot about turboing these motors. I plan on picking his brain a lot more as my project moves forward.
If I can't work this $400 deal I'll probably piece a system together as well. A piece or two at a time is definitely more in my price range right now.

67_C-30

Found a cheap turbo for sale separately. View attachment 413505 Does the oil residue on the bottom of the housing indicate a major problem?
Probably not. It is very common for the CDR valve to go bad and cause it pull oil in through the front of the turbo and seap out from under the intake boot. I have also seen a leaks at the oil supply fitting, but that the oil on that turbo seems to have came from the front and ran down under it. If the turbo has just a little side to play and no front to back play of the impeller, it should be OK.

67_C-30

When I say it very common for this to happen, I mean more often than not. Rarely ever will you ever see a totally clean turbo on a 6.5 if it has some miles on it...

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
The crankcase vent/CDR Valve is plumbed into the intake air tube right before the compressor side of the turbo, most likely where all the oil came from.

Well right before I sprung for that turbo I did one last eBay search. I saw the exact same photo on another turbo from a salvage yard. This seller admitted using a "stock photo" as he called it and was put out when I asked for a photo of his actual turbo so I passed. Back to square one with that $400 setup. I may as well just go for it since he has a stockpile of 6.5 stuff so I;ll be able to get the misc parts like intake tube, air filter, etc.

Attachments

nattieleather

$400.00 for what's pictured? Go for it! The only thing missing from that is the oil lines. And it sounds like you could get them from the guy selling the stuff. Not a bad price for turbo, intake and exhuast!

2002ford

Ok guys, after reading this I went and got all of the parts from a 1992 6.5. I am going to research this thread and others so I know what I am getting into. I would love to put this on my 1010 with a 700r4. Then I could use it to tow my 1009 to the rallies.

cshaw07

I just got my turbo installed and up and running on my M1009 yesterday. I used the stock 6.5 feed and return lines, I used 1/8" NPT pipe fittings T'd off of the oil psi port in the rear of the engine and ran it to middle of the engine under the intake maifold so the stock feed line would reach. Stock 6.5 return line/plate and 6.5 elec fuel pump. I used the 6.5 pass side (turbo) manifold and the stock 6.2 driver side manifold. The crossover pipe i cut up from the 6.5 and bolted that end to the turbo manifold, then connected that to the 6.2 manifold (i cut the exhaust out and left about a foot to weld to). The biggest issue is exhaust on the 09's, not sure about the 08's 10's etc. When you put on the manifolds and the crossover, you'll see that there is no room to fit anything else between the engine and frame. My exhaust is 4" turbo back and it had to be ran outside of the frame, if I start stuffing tires and find it's in the way i'm cutting the floor and fitting it in the frame then welding new floor around it. Get a boost gauge and pyro. For the intake I used the stock J code intake and had a buddy make me an intake bonnet for it. I have a 6.5 upper/lower intake i could sell if anyone needs it. As far as injectors, use the stock cucv injectors and two exhaust gasets. it works fine. Turn up IP 1/4 turn, keep boost around 10, egts less thank 1,000* and enjoy! Happy boosting.

cshawn07, did you have any interference issues with the injectors/ lines when using the stock 6.5 oil drain pipe? I plan on doing the same thing but read elsewhere that is wouldn't fit.

Another question: many of the eBay oil feed line kits use a restrictor orifice in the oil feed line. Is this necessary? I don't have the factory line so I don't know if it uses one.

Started the disassembly getting ready for installation. This is the second time I've tried to turn the injection pump up through the pump window without success. I figured it would be easier with the manifold off. Got fed up quickly and pulled the top off of the pump. MUCH easier. Took some tips off youtube videos first to make sure I didn't get into trouble sailing in uncharted territory. The set screw is very hard to turn and I was worried about my allen wrench snapping. 1/4 turn clockwise and reassembled. New intake going on, then the hard part starts...

Attachments

cshaw07

i didnt have any issues with it fitting, i used 2 exhaust mani gaskets to space the manifold out from the blok to clear the injectors. I LOVE THE TURBO. just wait till you get it on and running good.

cshaw07

the stock line didnt have one, i used the stock like and some 1/8 pipe fittings off of the oil pressure sender to get it to reach. if you buy one and it has it you should be able to just drill it out, i had to with my rx7.

cshaw07

oh! man... brain fart.. those are the same wheels i plan to go with as soon as i get the axles in my 09. are you running spacers or did you recenter them?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks