• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting paint off of glass and tires?

jblack6527

Does anybody have any helpful hints as to the best/easiest way to get paint off of the windows and a couple tires without just replacing them? I tried searching, but I just don't have any luck for some reason.. Thanks!

91W350

Brake fluid will clean them right up, makes them look like new ones, provided they are not badly weather checked. A buddy used to clean his tires all the time with brake fluid, before they made tire dressing. He had a 1957 Napco converted Chevy Suburban, the tires looked better than the rest of his truck...

scooter01922

No idea how to get the paint off other than the other suggestions but i can tell you how to keep it off. Can't take credit as i picked this up on here a while back but..... Apply liquid dishwashing soap to the tires within a few inches of the rims when painting. Be careful to not get any on the rims, just right up to them. Same with anything else irregularly shaped you don't want painted but don't feel like tapeing off, mirrors ect. Do your thing with the paint, let dry and then break out the scrub brush and hose. A quickie scrub and the soap along with any paint that landed on it washes right off. You are left with super looking paint and no hastle of cleanup.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I last painted the M887 I didn't mask any of the glass. I was able to clean them faster with a razor scraper and fine steel wool than I could have masked them.

rlwm211

The glass maybe pitted from age. That would possibly explain why a razor scarper might not do a decent job of cleaning the glass. I have found that Acetone will clean off most all overspray and paint marking on the glass. My mirror on the passenger side is rather worn, as glass goes. I found I could not scrape it so I used the acetone to great affect. Laquer thinnner will work as well, but is more volatile.

Remember when using these highly evaporative solvents to be very careful to stay far away from flames as they are extremely flammable. Any rags or paper towels soaked with the fluids are also very dangerous and should be disposed of properly.

I had not thought of using DOT3 brake fluid on the tires. I had planned on using a mineral spirits thinner or even the acetone on a rag. Now I have something new to try....

See, you learn something everyday if you pay attention....I seem to recall hearing that as a kid.

Hope this helps

RL

dittle

Use black paint on the tires, easier than cleaning (and no I'm not being a smart a$$, this is a serious idea) :-D. I also used razor blades (brand new one) on my windows that you couldn't see out of due to overspray and it cleaned it right up. Put the razor blade from a box cutter in a pair of vise-grips and take your time.

Last edited:
Reactions: emr

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
While on the subject of removing paint, a while back I got a lot of Sceptor fuel cans that were fairly painted over. DOT3 and the pressure cleaner (with a little time) did wonders!

Reactions: emr

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pressure washing plastic works great! As stated above, a nice new razor blade on the glass. Paint stripper works great on the rubber. I like aerosol aircraft paint stripper. That also works wonders on plastics like fuel and gas gans.

bobbed818

000 or 0000 steel wool works wonders on glass for overspray. Just don't use it on mirrrors as it will scratch them. Be careful with razor blades. If it has a nick in it, it can scratch glass.

littlebob

All of the above. You didn't mention the type of paint or primer unless I missed it. The enamels
are pretty easy to remove, the CARC and other polyurethanes will be much harder.

jblack6527

I didn't mention it, simply because I'm not sure. It's on my deuce, but it doesn't have CARC painted anywhere like I have seen on some trucks. Is there a way to tell?

rebel_raider

Also when scraping glass with a razor blade, I always apply a liberal amount of glass cleaner to the area I'm scraping. Makes scraping a lot easier and seems to be gentler on the glass.

My 2cents.

emr

I also use a razor ...even at work like today when i sprayed primer on the drywall as part of the contract , I do not worry about over spray on windows on anything, it scraps off nice enough, and i am the type to paint over paint on tires also, always worked for me, I like the brake fluid idea, i just happen to have a few sceptor cans that I tried steel wool and had to work to hard and do not want to rough up the plastic, so i am off this weekend to use brake fluid on em...thanks ...Randy