• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting ready to start running WMO in my deuce and need opinions on process.

Dhallftworth

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg
Here is what I'm thinking about ordering from Dubadiesel.com, when the money gets right.
55 gallon ez-strainers from 600-75 microns.
Polyester Felt Filter bags from 50-1 micron. 32" long 7" diameter.
What do y'all think? My donated oil is in 55 gallon drums right now, so I will be looking for one of the 275 gallon storage containers. Everything will be gravity fed, and it will all most likely be done with a hand pump, unless an electric pump presents it's self for trade. Any tips or tricks, with these particular items?

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you start by letting the oil supply settle for the water to separate, and have a way to drain off water & sludge from bottom. When the filter bags start getting full, you'll need to lift them out and squeeze the residual oil out through an un-clogged portion, so have LOTS of nitrile gloves handy and a disposal system for the used filter bags. Keep your storage & filtration drums sealed when not in use, otherwise you'll be surprised at the amount of dirt, crap, and sludge that will build up at the bottom.

Afterwards it is a learning process and continual cycle of tweaking to get it just right for your needs/applications.

Keep us updated.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Having run all kinds of crap through a multi-fuel I would suggest cutting the WMO 50/50 with diesel and a little gasoline to thin it out. The money you save on fuel will come in handy when you have to change out the injection pump or replace the engine.
The idea behind the multi was that on the battlefield fuel could be scavenged in case of an emergency. The engine was not designed to run on waste fuel all the time. That being said a lot of people do it but long term studies show there is a shortened life for engines that run on waste fuel. I think that study has been posted on here.

oddshot

The engine was not designed to run on waste fuel all the time. That being said a lot of people do it but long term studies show there is a shortened life for engines that run on waste fuel. I think that study has been posted on here.
Do you remember the thread? I'd like to read that study.

Jeepsinker

Several other members and myself are in the middle of a carbon/dissolved metal extraction experiment as we speak. We are trying to figure out how to remove not just suspended particles, but dissolved solids as well by chemical process. The thread is in the alternative fuels section.

JOECOOL48

WMO filtering

IMAG1056.jpg I use a setup like this with a 5 gallon screen from Duda in top bucket and filter socks one inside of the other down to .5 microns and store in a 55 gallon drum. I use polymer beads in netting that are just dropped in the buckets and settle to the bottom to absorb water. all pipes are 2 inches from the bottoms of the bucket so water can settle out.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Moved to the Alternate Fuels as this does not belong in the Deuce forum.

Beyond Biodiesel

My setup is simpler. I pump off the top just enough waste oil so that I can pour in gasoline at 20%. I do not even agitate it. I then leave it in the bucket, or barrel, or tote for 2 months of settling, then I pump off the top 80% through a 1-micron bag filter.

The bottom 20% will be mostly water, radiator fluid and carbon. It can be poured or pumped into a bucket, or barrel, or tote set aside just for the sludge. After it is full of sludge, and left to settle for 2 months, then I pour or pump it through my 1-micron bag filter.

A centrifuge can reduce the 2 month settling time to hours, but the water and radiator fluid will have to be separated by either draining them off from the bottom, or pumping the settled oil off the top.

Tlauden

Have fun! I tried running WMO and the costs of filtering just started going through the roof. I just got rid of almost 400 gallons of WMO and About 300 gallons of WVO. Diesel at the pump is so much easier LOL!!

Beyond Biodiesel

Have fun! I tried running WMO and the costs of filtering just started going through the roof. I just got rid of almost 400 gallons of WMO and About 300 gallons of WVO. Diesel at the pump is so much easier LOL!!
I understand many of the expenses and trouble that goes into turning waste oils into diesel fuel, but I have worked out many of the kinks, for instance, I bake-flush my filters, so that I have not had to replace one in 3 years.

Too bad you do not live in AZ, because I would have been very happy to take all of that oil off your hands.

Tlauden

I understand many of the expenses and trouble that goes into turning waste oils into diesel fuel, but I have worked out many of the kinks, for instance, I bake-flush my filters, so that I have not had to replace one in 3 years.

Too bad you do not live in AZ, because I would have been very happy to take all of that oil off your hands.
Never thought about back-flushing, that's a neat idea. My problem was finding pumps to move the stuff. I am too broke to spend a couple hundred on a good pump that's made for these thick oils, and all the hand pumps I tried always leaked from various areas around the pump housing. The nice part though was telling people I'm using WMO for fuel, I'll miss that.

Beyond Biodiesel

Yes, for collecting viscous waste oils, a good quality transfer pump works great; however, a pressure tank and a simple vacuum pump will work quite well, by evacuating the tank to a decent vacuum, and inserting your hose into the thick oil, then opening a valve to the tank. It will fill about half the tank very quickly. To get more into the tank, you just run the vacuum pump again, and away you go. It is the same process how outhouses, and septic tanks are pumped. A cheap Thomas style diaphragm, or wobbly piston pump is needed, and they can be acquire through scrap for under $100. Do not use a Welch rotary vacuum pump, or you will trash it in no time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks