• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Getting the old girl started again

drlogistics

another update with some pics

I've wanted to remove the inner wheels and tires on my 211 for a while. Partially because I like the way it looks and also because some of my tires were in pretty bad shape. I got a chance to spend some time with an old Army mechanic and he helped me with the project. It was great to work on the truck with someone who used to do it for a living. I got to hear some great stories. So here's some pics. Not sure if I'll keep it this way. Doesn't look as cool as it does on the 135's, in my opinion. I will prob take it back to stock when I get my hands on some better tires. BTW, anyone know a good source for 9x20 NDTs in Michigan?
close up rear.jpgleft side rear.jpgspare.jpg

I also cleaned up some of my data plates. I got super lucky. Mine were all in really good shape, just needed some TLC. Here's a before and after. All I did was clean them with soapy water and sprayed them with some lacquer.

Attachments

drlogistics

I've done quite a bit of work on it in the past few years. I'm just terrible at keeping up with this thread. Unlike yourself, plowboy, henderson, and gunfreak. I did have to find a new trans for my truck. The one that was in it wouldn't shift past second gear. It would try but it couldn't make it all the way into 3rd. It would shift out of second and get stuck between 2 and 3 in neutral. So I pulled that trans and sent it to a local shop that said they could rebuild it for approx $500 to $600. I figured they were low on the estimate and that it might be more like $1000 but a fresh trans would have been worth that to me. They had it for about a month when they finally called me and told me it would be more like $2500. That was too much for me so I picked it up from them the next day. Of course, they had it torn down completely so I now have a trans in about a thousand pieces in a couple different bins in my garage. So I was off on a hunt for a working trans. A really good friend of mine is a whiz at finding oddball things on craigslist all over the country. It only took him a couple hours and he found a guy in Schenectady NY that was selling some m211 parts including a trans. I called him up right away and we settled on $200. He said it was working fine when he started taking the truck apart and he did send me a video of the truck driving and shifting through the gears. It was still a pretty big gamble though as he was about 500 miles from me. So off to NY I went. Had a lovely trip through Ontario. The guy was super nice and he threw in his fenders and hood for $50. So, for $250 I got a trans and some nice body parts. Deal of the century for me. Back through Ontario and home to MI I went. I got the new trans put in the next night (thanks to the TM's - I had basically zero automotive experience before I bought this truck) and tested it out the following morning. It worked great and still works great, knock on wood. Side note, the guy from NY was turning his truck into a ratrod (very sad, I agree). I took a few pics while I was there picking up the trans. I'll try to dig one up and post it.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say you got a heck of a deal on the trans. That is one good think about the ratrod guys I guess. I was fortunate enough to get an extra trans from a guy who bobbed a truck. Too bad the project ended in scrap. Keep on posting!

My back up plan has always been a short shaft TH400 with a small block chevy. I''d give up the low range if I had to.

Last edited:

drlogistics

I will do my best to keep this post updated henderson. BTW, thank you for all of the great info you've posted. Here's the pic of that poor 211 being transformed. At least the trans and fenders went to a good home!
m211 ratrod.jpg
I'm not condoning bobbing but here is a pic I found a while back. I think its on a 5 ton chasis.
bobbed 5 ton with GMC cab.jpg

USMC 00-08

I'd say you did well on the new transmission too. Hold onto the old parts transmission, just in case.

I have one good transmission, one that does not want to work in high range and only works in 1st and reverse in low, then there are two unknown condition transmissions in my parts trucks that supposedly ran when parked a long time ago. The oil in them still looks new after all these years so I am encouraged by that.

All that to say...like you, I had never done work on vehicles either until I got into G749's. One day I would like to learn how to rebuild these old transmissions since not many people do them anymore.

Did you get the information on the carburetor kit that I posted up for you over in my thread?

drlogistics

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who chose the G749 to be my first rebuild project. I agree with you on the trans. I would really love to rebuild my old one. I think it's possible. I did get the carb info. Thank you. I'll be ordering one of those this fall when summer driving and parade season is over. Good luck on your search for a hardtop.

drlogistics

I cleaned up some more data plates yesterday. Mine were in pretty good shape to start with.
fresh.jpg
I cleaned them with soapy water.
cleaned.jpg
And then sprayed 3 coats of clear lacquer.
sprayed.jpg
Got a car show coming up in Flint MI on June 27th at the Sloan Museum. Just found out today that they are having a special military section at the show and they are having some sort of sign made up to put next to each vehicle. Kind of inspiring me to get this old girl painted. What do you guys think? I don't have the $$ to do a full tear down, blast, frame off paint job.Just gonna do a Behr paint special. Think I can get it done in a week and a half?

USMC 00-08

I bet you can. What color are you going to paint it?

Here is a link to the thread where I was trying to figure out the color to paint mine. I am not ready to paint yet, but I do have the color ready. It was matched off of a 1952 dated military gas can. The last post has the paint code and the color is almost exactly like the can if you want to use it.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?124761-Is-this-23070/page2

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The next one I do will be 60 or 80 grit on a Dual action sander, red rattle can primer and a cheep harbor freight spray gun with a remote tank to blow paint on. Nothing wrong with cab off and blast to bare metal. But you gotta decide if you like the 3 year project or the drive right now. Right now I'm a fan of the Hunter Specialties oil based enamel. Painted the inside of my yellow truck with latex. Painted the cab interior on the red truck with the HS oil based and I like it much better. It runs around $30 a gallon at farm/hardware chains and more at trendy hunting stores. I have painted several duck boats with it. It is not an exact military match, but neither is red nor yellow. I think the only dray back with the Behr paint is you cannot have any bare metal or you get instant rust on the bare metal spot.
This did not help a bit did it?

SteveKuhn

Really like your truck. Behr does make a DTM (direct to metal) product in semi-gloss, which is what I suspect that you want. I'd take the formula from the link above to HD and see what they can come up with. It'll save you a day or so (at the very least) waiting for red oxide to flash off before putting latex over it. You can always come back and redo it later.

I'm trying to think of one time that I painted a piece of equipment without an event-gun to my head . . .

Nope. Every time. Including troop seats tonight for tomorrow. I'll put this here for both of us before somebody else does:

:grd:

Steve

drlogistics

Well, here goes nothing. I picked up some Behr in Thorny Branch. Thanks for the color USMC. I tested it on my glove box door and it looks great. I went with flat. A good friend is gonna help me prep on Sunday morning. I'll take some pics. And I may try a time lapse video of the process. I'll keep you all posted.

drlogistics

Sorry guys. No time lapse video. But I did get it painted. Thanks to everyone for the encouragement. And thanks to USMC for the paint color.
painted.jpg

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That trucks got a big smile on it. Retired, new coat and ready for the car show. Did you spray it on? I enlarged the picture and it looks sprayed, nice work.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Truck looks good. I especially like the black wheels and the use of the forklift.
PS. you got a lot of trusses -Wow!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks