• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gichner S-280 Electronics Shelter From Albany, GA to E. NC

Phoenix77

If anyone is headed from / through Albany, GA area to the outer banks of NC, I won an S-280 shelter last week.

I have the shipment listed on VeriTread and uShip, but so far the most affordable quote is my left kidney.

Any help would be appreciated / compensated.

Thanks!

FloridaAKM

I wonder why the great weight discrepancy between units other than some have shelving & some have equipment paneling? My experience is that the weights are an educated guess on one unit & applied to all. Hopefully this does not violate auction rules.

Phoenix77

I wonder why the great weight discrepancy between units other than some have shelving & some have equipment paneling? My experience is that the weights are an educated guess on one unit & applied to all. Hopefully this does not violate auction rules.
I too, found the posted weight curious; the S-280 empty supposedly only weighs around 1,500 lbs. I didn't see what I consider to be the equivalent weight of my M998 worth of shelving in there. It sucks, because I think it is going to skew transportation bids.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I too, found the posted weight curious; the S-280 empty supposedly only weighs around 1,500 lbs. I didn't see what I consider to be the equivalent weight of my M998 worth of shelving in there. It sucks, because I think it is going to skew transportation bids.
Cost the same to move something in the 2k to 6k weight range. Then 6k to 13k. 13k to 22k. Ect ect. It just depends on where and what's moving

Its also around 620 to 650 miles depending on the driver. They are going to run interstate miles. Not the Google route as those roads thru GA have weight restrictions. So that funky route to stay on the interstate is what matters

FloridaAKM

My best guess is to get one that has a valid weight plate (not 7 K) & put it on the Deuce & bring it home from the auction. As long as they will load it on the flatbed of the Deuce, she should be able to easily handle 2k lbs on the roads.

I did that with my LMTV & it was around 3.5k & made the ole girl squat, but she did the trip without any problems that day. They did have a loader that could pick up the vehicle shop with forklift provisions, but it struggled with the weight.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
My best guess is to get one that has a valid weight plate (not 7 K) & put it on the Deuce & bring it home from the auction. As long as they will load it on the flatbed of the Deuce, she should be able to easily handle 2k lbs on the roads.

I did that with my LMTV & it was around 3.5k & made the ole girl squat, but she did the trip without any problems that day. They did have a loader that could pick up the vehicle shop with forklift provisions, but it struggled with the weight.

Attachments

FloridaAKM

I have two of those already from Florida that I am happy with. The ones from Albany were different & shorter, but the weight on half the units was above my carrying capacity. The ones in my weight range went for high $$$, so maybe another time if the stars align in my favor.

Phoenix77

I have two of those already from Florida that I am happy with. The ones from Albany were different & shorter, but the weight on half the units was above my carrying capacity. The ones in my weight range went for high $$$, so maybe another time if the stars align in my favor.

The Ramim manufactured S-280s went for 2x as much money - maybe I caught a sweet spot in the auction cycle when people were snoozing, but they look identical to me: same specs.

fpchief

I am 100% positive that the shielded S280 weighs 5160 lbs. Of course that weight is going down some as the water drips out of it. I weighed at the recycler scale going into the lot today and weighed coming out.[/QUOTE]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks