• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gichner Shelter GSS-1497B operation quesiton on HMMWV

blhar15

I have one of the Saudi HMMWV's with a Gichner Shelter model GSS-1497B on the back with the generator. It did not come with any sort of manual. It was setup for 220V as it was going overseas. There is an outside hookup point for shorepower with some switches, that I am not really sure what they do. I would like to have an option to hook up the shelter to shore power, so I would not have to run the generator. First, does anyone have a manual for these or know where to find them? I attached a photo of the outside connection box. There are two toggle switches to the left that have no markings and two to the right that are marked CB3 GEN and CB4 28 VDC. The rotating switch in the center has a 110V, 220V, GEN SET with two off settings. There are two connector points marked J1 and J2. I would like to be able to customize a cable that I could plug in to one of those and run it to 110V something like a 30AMP RV outlet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

IMG_0089.jpegIMG_0087.jpegIMG_0088.jpeg
IMG_6798.jpeg

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The J2 connector would appear to be for the 110 volt shore power cable. Finding that connector might be tricky, I would be tempted to replace it with a more common twistlock connector.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have one of the Saudi HMMWV's with a Gichner Shelter model GSS-1497B on the back with the generator. It did not come with any sort of manual. It was setup for 220V as it was going overseas. There is an outside hookup point for shorepower with some switches, that I am not really sure what they do. I would like to have an option to hook up the shelter to shore power, so I would not have to run the generator. First, does anyone have a manual for these or know where to find them? I attached a photo of the outside connection box. There are two toggle switches to the left that have no markings and two to the right that are marked CB3 GEN and CB4 28 VDC. The rotating switch in the center has a 110V, 220V, GEN SET with two off settings. There are two connector points marked J1 and J2. I would like to be able to customize a cable that I could plug in to one of those and run it to 110V something like a 30AMP RV outlet.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

View attachment 832729View attachment 832730View attachment 832731
View attachment 832732
that is a really really cool package there

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is an amazing rig. I bought my rig to go for off the grid camping. I would go wild in a rig like yours.

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

Beautiful rig you have there. That said, I have four different truck mounted shops, all with somewhat the same wiring connectors. They are all 3 phase connectors in a Wye configuration. J-1 looks to be ground with three connections for the three phase generator & or shore power. J-2 has the same large connections as before with the four small connections each as a common ground. Ground & neutral are different/separate on these shelters, so don't tie them together & think you are good to go.

Using the Wye configuration instead of the Delta allows you to pull 120v a/c off of a 3 phase source. This is common in industry & the military where they utilize 3 phase power.

I am not an electrician nor did I stay @ a Holiday Inn last night, so take it for what it is worth. Three phase power is not that common in the civilian world, but in industry, it is a must.

You will probably find it is easier to run the generator than try to come to grips with this wiring system adaption to single phase shore power.

Good luck with it.

blhar15

I appreciate the responses. Does anyone know where to find a manual for the shelter or what those toggle switches do?
Thank you

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks