• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gillesp. or carc

bullfrog1234

I want to paint my m35 the 1970s camo. What colors will I need. I have carc on it now and it flakes really bad. Can I prime over the carc and prevent cancer? A buddy gave me cans of carc, but i don't want it.

Scarecrow1

If it was me No .I would never regardless of the paint or primer apply anything over flaking paint. Your only asking for it to fail too . You may see even today cars going down the road that the clear coat and paint is cracking and flaking . Its because the primer never for what ever one of a dozen reasons has failed to bond with the metal. Putting coats of primer or paint on top may give a temporary fix but it will bite you later .Now ask me how I know this :twisted:

wsucougarx

Gillespie paint is a great CARC substitute. However, the Gillespie flat black is way too glossy. You'd be best going with Krylon camo flat black for that application. Of course, however close Gillespie tries to get to CARC, it just does not have that nice dull rough look to it. So it all depends on what you're after for looks. I would not paint over flaking paint. Give it a really good pressure washing if you are not upto sandblasting your truck. Just make sure wear an outstanding respirator when disturbing CARC (ie: sanding) That CARC is some nasty stuff but then again all paint is pretty nasty

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Durability wise, should I get CARC or Gillespie?

My overall intent is to have the M1009, M101A3 trailer, M35A2, and M1061 all done at roughly the same time.

The beds and interior of the M1009 I am hoping to get done with LINE-X on all these using sand tint. Was told it could be matched up. Was wondering if the LINE-X will hold up to pallets?

I'm willing to spend a heck of a dime to do it up right on this as a one time expense but I don't want to be paying for another paint job next year or two.

Suggestions?

bullfrog1234

it looks like the carc was applied several time, really thick in places. I was able to use easy off this afternoon on a couple spots. Water and a wire brush seem to take it off, but it will take cases of that stuff, but Zero dust. I like the 4 color camo, has anyone painted their vehicle this way yet. I would like to order my paint, but I cannot see getting gallons and only using a couple quarts of the brown and one of the black.

bassetdeuce

How about wire brushing the loose flaky stuff off, and maybe needle scaling the really nasty rust. Use rustoleum primer to cover any exposed metal and surface rust, then finish up the whole thing with Gillespie. CARNAC, the Gillespie/Rapco seems to be super durable. As you know, when working on these trucks, you end up stepping on the bumper and fenders a lot, and the 5-ton we spot painted with Gillespie is holding up very well. It does yield a smoother finish than CARC.

Chief_919

The beds and interior of the M1009 I am hoping to get done with LINE-X on all these using sand tint. Was told it could be matched up. Was wondering if the LINE-X will hold up to pallets?
I have Line-X in my truck, and I have beat the absolute snot out of it and it has held up great to the abuse, diesel fuel, oil, solvent, pallets, metal pallets, engines.

Plus, it has a lifetime warranty.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've used Gillespie spray cans with good results on small parts. When I get around to painting my whole M35 I'm going with Gillespie. It's a better paint than CARC IMO and cost alot less.

My overall intent is to have the M1009, M101A3 trailer, M35A2, and M1061 all done at roughly the same time.

I'm willing to spend a heck of a dime to do it up right on this as a one time expense but I don't want to be paying for another paint job next year or two.

Suggestions?
I just had my M1009 painted with some Shermin William single component CARC. It looks amazing. I will post some pictures up later. I have an extra gallon of CARC 383 I need to sell. It only took about 3/4 of a gallon to do my M1009. I'm having the rest put into spray cans for touch up.

Last edited:

croftonaviation

I have Line-X in my truck, and I have beat the absolute snot out of it and it has held up great to the abuse, diesel fuel, oil, solvent, pallets, metal pallets, engines.

Plus, it has a lifetime warranty.
If you don't mind sharing how much did they charge you to line x your truck?

SGT Flesh Hammer

Carc

I know this is an oxymoron but I think the Army got it right with CARC paint. It's extremely durable, prevents rust, as well as last forever. I'm repainting my Jeep Wrangler with CARC paint. I know everyone has concerns about the high risk of CARC, but unless you are painting or sanding without a high-end mask in a well ventilated area, there is no risk from it (not eat paint chips either). I have used/abused my fair share(and probably your share) of military vehicles in combat and real-world environment. I've broken off brackets from trucks without scratching or gauging the CARC paint. BOTTOM LINE if you can get army issue CARC USE IT, you wont be disappointed.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CARC fades really bad, usually peels after time. I'd use Gillespie ( make sure it's applied correctly and gets at least 2 good cure days) you won't be disappointed. My 5 year old sprayed Gillespie looks like it was just sprayed.

SGT Flesh Hammer

I just had my M1009 painted with some Shermin William single component CARC. It looks amazing. I will post some pictures up later. I have an extra gallon of CARC 383 I need to sell. It only took about 3/4 of a gallon to do my M1009. I'm having the rest put into spray cans for touch up.
How much are you gonna sell the CARC paint for? I will be in Lower Alabama a lil after Christmas.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks