• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gillespie 383 CARC substitute

Gov Junk

Have searched all over but can't find a solid answer.Was wondering how to apply Gillespie Alkyd Enamel. Have been painting stuff for about 30 yrs. from Imron to Laquer to Acrylic Enamel.Recently sprayed Urethane enamel and the instructions said "Apply 2 wet coats". My question is do I first spray a "tack" coat followed by 2 wet coats? Just 2 wet coats?Called the people at Gillespie where I bought the paint and they couldn't tell me.aua Any help would be appreciated.Thanks.

Hoefler

I used the 383 green and brown on my truck. Did a light sanding on existing paint. Used a metal prep (POR15) then just started spraying. I did multiple coats of medium thickness. Paint looks bad when you apply it. After a couple of days it settles down and looks great. Just ordered for for my other truck.
Paint has been on for a few months-looks like its sticking well, no lifting.

Attachments

Flyingvan911

I use Gillespie too. Good stuff. I add about 15-20% thinner and use a cheap Harbor Freight spray gun. I spray one area and move on. Then go around again and touch up. I keep going around giving each area a chance to dry a little before the next coat until everything looks nice. It isn't perfect but it looks nice.

Attachments

Gov Junk

Thanks for the replies.Hoefler, thanks for the info about settling down after a couple of days. I will do as ya'll have and just spray and move on.Thanks again for the help.This site is great.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For what it's worth, I believe they recommend Xylene as the thinner. The attached file from Rapco give the recommendations for thinning. I love Gillespie paints, although the Rapco rattle cans are a challenge.

Attachments

Last edited:

RIDDLE1

For what it's worth, I believe they recommend Xylene as the thinner. The attached file from Rapco give the recommendations for thinning. I love Gillespie paints, although the Rapco rattle cans are a challenge.
Can you elaborate on the spray cans? The reason I ask is that I am going to rattle can the interior of my truck with the Rapco 686.

135gmc

The trick on rattle cans with a high-solids paint (like a CARC-equivalent) is to shake them, then shake them again, and then shake them some more and more and more. A freind of mine rigged up an adapter to hold spray cans in a hardware store paint shaker, and he runs them for about 5 minutes before he tries to use them, especially if they have been sitting on his shelf for a few months. I'm thinking about rigging up a can-holder for my old jig saw / scroll saw so I can be sure they are really mixed. Amazon probably has some sort of a spray can shaker as well.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gillespie paint is very forgiving. Just spray it on there and let dry. I usually do two coats just to get a good coverage and find spots I missed on the first coat.

Heavysteven

I did my interior in 383 green rattle can and rattle can primer. Turned out good. Pressured washed sanded, primed, and then painted. A little shinny but very close. CARC has a real depth dark flat tone.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can you elaborate on the spray cans? The reason I ask is that I am going to rattle can the interior of my truck with the Rapco 686.
I really like Gillespie paint. The problem with the rattle cans is that the nozzles tend to leak and drip so if you are spraying down on a horizontal surface you need to be careful that paint doesn't drip on your surface. This problem is not limited to 383, other colors also have the problem. Shake the cans frequently.

RIDDLE1

I really like Gillespie paint. The problem with the rattle cans is that the nozzles tend to leak and drip so if you are spraying down on a horizontal surface you need to be careful that paint doesn't drip on your surface. This problem is not limited to 383, other colors also have the problem. Shake the cans frequently.
Oh ok. Well that should not be a problem then. I am going to do the bed liner on the floor after I paint so I should be ok.

Thanks for the info!

Jimma

I love the gillespie paint. The spray cans are and exact match to the gallons if you use the zylene as a thinner. Other thinners may add a gloss or change it some. Zylene is available at most better hardware stores. Dont go to the Depot or Lowes, they will look at you like your a nut and try to sell you mineral spirits. Dont use it. The paint goes on good, covers well, is forgiving and looks better as time passes. I use spray gun on the exterior and spray cans for interior detail work. They match perfect and the spray cans later work great for touchups. I get mine from RAPCO Jeep Parts because its always been in stock, the ship fast and packaging is great.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I get all my paint from Rapco as well. I use rattle cans for everything except my S280 shelter. I used straight gallons and rolled it on.

Nice people at Rapco, I met them at the MVPA show in Dayton last year.

Troll1216

How Much paint in gallons to cover Deuce? Complete. Bed (inside and out - need total coverage - Florida rain SUCKS), troop seats, cab, and a S-280 etc...

I am doing the standard 3 color on all of the above. I want to get this done BEFORE another rainy season.

(yes I did a search aua - no I didn't find it, but I will keep lookin)

waayfast

I have had very good luck with Gillispie thinned with Xylene (4/1). It does dry a bit shiny at first but "weathers in quickly to a pretty good all around match the the CARC. Very forgiving/easy to apply and a tenth of the cost of Acyrlic Urethanes I use on other stuff.
I don't mean to hi-jack but anybody know if a person can show up in Bowie TX at Rapco, walk up to the counter and buy paint or is it mail order only.
We may be taking a trip to TX soon and thought about just stopping by in person and eliminating the haz-mat fees.

Thanks, Jim

Jim

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't mean to hi-jack but anybody know if a person can show up in Bowie TX at Rapco, walk up to the counter and buy paint or is it mail order only.
We may be taking a trip to TX soon and thought about just stopping by in person and eliminating the haz-mat fees.

Thanks, Jim

Jim
Yes you can. I picked up 20 gallons of paint last summer.

Just call ahead to make sure they will be there as they travel to show sometimes.

cucv1833

I did my M101 and M1009 with only 1 case of 12 Rapco 383 rattle can. I bought a mixed 5-green 4-brown and 3 black. I just pressure washed it first and did some touch up work.

Probaly took me about 4hrs all together prep and paint. Im happy with it.

The trailer connected to my blazer is the before pic of the trailer

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks