• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gilliispie paint

bigmech

I called Gillispie paint because I wanted to cover the last paint job (2 weeks ago) with a flat clear. They didn't have any info on doing that. Does anyone here have any ideas? I want to protect from scratches like Harley does with their flat paint. It is a alkyd enamel. I have goggled the point but not much helps. I came here because so many use that paint here.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would contact the technical service depts of several of the major automotive paint manufacturers. Try Sikkens, Martin Senour, etc. Don't talk to a dealer, talk to the factory.

richingalveston

A flat clear coat is new to me. I know some paints cant take clear but normally thats due to the additional magnification of sun and heat the high gloss clear creates on the paint under it, not sure about gillispe. I have forest green gillispie on my 1009. I would think it would be cheaper to buy a case of rattle cans in your color and just touch it up with more color when needed. Thats my plan.

Nice thing about gillispie is you can get all of their colors in spray cans also.

bigmech

Great ideas. Thanks. I might try a clear that I can use a flatting agent in and paint a old hood or something in the same way as I had the truck done in. This might prove good or bad buy no loss. We have friends who ride and their dog, kids, and gear gets up against the truck in the most crazy ways. I have used a piece of cloth to try to rub out the scratches but when I was at the Harley dealer and saw the newer bike finishes I asked the parts guy and he said they paint the flat black with a flat clear that stops the light scratches so I will continue with the testing idea and always have the fall back of additional spray cans as I have a few, Thanks again.

Crash_AF

Let me know how that comes out. Two part is always more durable than single stage, but is usually only in semi-gloss or gloss. To get a true flat, a flat clear might work, but I'd be interested to see how it looks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks