• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL and the SF-97 goofs

TexAndy

GL gathers the information for the SF97 from you. The ask you for the make, model number, serial number, GVW, and your exact full name and address. They send that information to the US Government in Michigan and the Government issues an SF97 with your vehicles information in GL's name. GL then goes to a Florida car dealer, and gets a notarized title transfer issued that transfers the SF97 to your name.

They are doing quite a lot, be glad it comes as quickly as it does. There are at least 3 separate entities involved.

-Chuck
GL doesn't "ask" you for anything.

They have an automated form online that you fill out. Which they don't proofread. You can literally put just about anything you want on that form.

stumps

GL doesn't "ask" you for anything.

They have an automated form online that you fill out. Which they don't proofread. You can literally put just about anything you want on that form.
GL provided the program that you used to fill in the data. That is tantamount to asking. And yes, you can within reason, put anything you want on the form. I didn't think that was pertinent to this discussion. I am certain the OP didn't fill out the form saying his truck was a trailer. The problem probably occurred somewhere between GL's computer, and the different entities that processed the different parts of the SF97 request.

-Chuck

The Janiter

Chuck; both documents said"Cargo Trailer" gov. one and GL

All paper work I filled out say "Cargo Truck" as does the original invoice.

But in the whole scheme of things this matters not.

Last edited:

stumps

Chuck; both documents said"Cargo Trailer" gov. one and GL
Then I guess that pinpoints the error at GL's side. To my eye, it looks like they reused a partly filled out form on their computer, and forgot to erase the old data fields that didn't apply (eg. Cargo Trailer).
Do you work for GL?
Absolutely not!

I have, however worked for the government both as an employee, and as a vendor. Plus, I have numerous friends that are in the civil service. In the course of those exposures to the government I haven't seen even one of those morons many on this group seem to think are all that work for the government. I'm sure they must be out there, but I haven't found them yet.

I think that you are blowing this clerical error out of proportion, that's all. As yet nobody has stood up to say that they too have had a botched SF97 (that wasn't of their own making, that is...).

Let us know how long it takes after you return the bad SF97 before you get your new SF97. Hopefully it won't be too long a wait.

-Chuck

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the course of those exposures to the government I haven't seen even one of those morons many on this group seem to think are all that work for the government. I'm sure they must be out there, but I haven't found them yet.
I don't think most are morons. Just people with a "I don't give a sh** attitude". I do quite a bid of business with the government and run into this all the time on the federal, state, and local levels.

I've run into the "I don't give a sh**" attitude with GL quite a bit also. It's just the nature of any government or business that doesn't have any competition.

ctmustang

Man somebody needs a vacation. Ours is not a perfect world and all the griping and b***hing isn't going to help. We all make mistakes in our personal life and at work we just have to move on. Have you ever thought of taking up golf or fishing??????:cookoo:

greenjeepster

One of my M35A2 titles has an extra number in the vin. The sheriff caught it when he inspected the vehicle... Now I have to wait another 4 weeks for a new title. They got the number right on the bill of sale, but wrong on the paper that actually matters:(

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Somebody looks at what individuals fill in on the SF-97, because I sent one in on an M109 as a truck-camper and the corrected it to a shop van. BTW, it met the definition of a truck-camper in the South Carolina vehicle law (SC 56-5-362).

The Janiter

Update - New Sf-97 arrived yesterday - it is correct - now I have exactly what I ask for -

!971 - JEEP - GPD - Cargo Truck - 25000 GVWR

They don't always read!

stumps

Let's see, January 15th to February 5th, 3 weeks.... I would have hoped for a little faster turn-around, given it was their mistake, but I guess they still had to push it through all of the different parties.

I'm not sure what you mean by "They don't always read!"

-Chuck

The Janiter

When I called Jean to thank here for her help - she said that her part of the office was under "Paper" and at times overwhelmed in trying to keep up.

But she also said not vary many called to say "THANKS"

The truck is rated for 23500 - I wanted mine set just under the 26000 cdl limit for my farm.

stumps

I was guessing it was the GVW you were talking about, but I didn't know whether it just came "overweight", or whether you told them to put 25,000 GVW on the title.

I find that being nice to people helps in the long run. I always try to thank those that help smooth out life's ripples. It might do nothing for me, but it might help the next guy.

On farm limits: The DMV has always asked me what I wanted to put on my farm trucks. They don't seem to care, as long as it is over 10,000. Pickup trucks have to be up rated to 10K GVWR. I am told there is no CDL requirement for driving farm trucks.

-Chuck

dskchevy

Don't you see this in everyday life??? I was a load broker and did a lot of contracts over the fax... The other brokers and I would get together on a price or some thing about a load and have someone put to paper (I'm grammer & spelling challanged) and send it.
I would get it back and scrach my head....... So we would have to redo the contract to get it right............:cookoo: wasting time and money.....
The wife goes thu the same problem at work..... It's like the dumming down of the schools is rearing it's ugly head............:roll: Sorry about the rant it just a cord with me....................

The Janiter

Here in AR. "Farm" eliminates a CDL - But I lived in Texas for 24 years and still go there a lot, My friends w/ DPD say that a real problem is those that run heaver loads on trucks and trailers not rated for them such as 1 tons pulling a back hoe with a set up licensed for something else.

I ask for the 25000 rate

Even though I have a Class A CDL and this is the only kind I have ever had, I am always cautious how I license or title anything.

I could in the future change the license to a greater load rating and this give me more latitude with that.

Or if I should sell the truck, the new owner if they choose to, could carry a heaver rating.

Foresight is always better than hind sight - even though hind sight is 20/20 - oversight can be the problem.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks