• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL botched auctions

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL

I have purchased 20 or 25 lots from various GL sites in Ga. and SC and have had good luck with Gl. The key is to inspect the lot you are interested in. There are large amounts of property going through these sites and there are bound to be some screw ups. If you are going to spend substantial money it's worth taking the time to check it out.

paulfarber

Has ANYONE to date pursued a lawsuit against GL for a VEHICLE that was substantially not what they stated it was?

No one has posted they did that I know of.

They get around title laws how? Because you are not holding them to that standard? And when they fail you take legal recourse? No.

You take your low cost truck (cause it really is a **** good deal) and post here about it.

In PA GL clearly fits the legal definition of a dealer... I see nothing in the PA CODE that exempts them. We *SHOULD* be getting a title.

Who wants to sue first? No one. We take out SF-97s, title it, and we are done with it.

If you have an extra $10-20k and want to make a point please make the system better for all of us.. I'd thank you.

But like water, we take the route of least resistance which is SF-97->title.

Someone please 'show them'!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only thing that scares me when people start talking about lawsuits is what that will accomplish. More than likely the end result will be no more trucks sold for on-road use ( no titles at all) or worse than that, everything cut up as scrap. I have my doubts that a lawsuit would make things better for the average surplus buyer (it could very easily make it worse). I remember awhile back that GL stopped issuing sf97s for anything for a while.

I wouldn't hold it against somebody for suing them if they have been wronged but be careful what you wish for.

Last edited:

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We already know that Uncle doesn't care if he makes $30,000 back on that HMMWV he doesnt need anymore, or $3000 on a pile of scrap. The money is of little concern. The gov't is getting rid of this material because it's better to make a few bucks than it is to pay someone to haul it off for you. The federal gov't is not in the business of maximizing revenue from the sale of surplus. The amount of material that is disposed of through GL is enough that it would cost an enormous amount of money to pay someone to haul it off. If it didn't cost too much, I am sure that Uncle would rather send every last truck, box, cartridge case and belt buckle to the smelter. If the liability makes the juice not worth the squeeze we would probably see more and more items sold as scrap. As it stands it appears as though there is a balance between the liability/legal ass pain and the amount GL pays uncle for the contract to sell off surplus under current regulations and law. If the thumbscrews are put to GL then perhaps they cannot afford the low bid to win the contract to sell surplus. Perhaps they lobby to change the regulations to reduce ALL vehicles to scrap, so it's worth less so they can bid at a price they can afford and still make a boatload of money. If it all comes out to put the gov't ahead then so be it... we already know that Uncle doesnt give a sh*t if he makes a few buck as long as it doesnt cost as much as it would to dispose of it himself. I'm sure it's far more complicated than that, but ultimately I'm sure GL and Uncle would have no issue limiting or ending complete vehicle sales if it ceased to be a viable means of surplus disposal.

I abhor GL's business practices. I am amazed at the blatant mistakes that are made, and that they can write in to their policies that can screw customers at will. However, they are just about the only game in town. If they were muscled out or lose the contract, we could easily end up with worse.

Last edited:

paulfarber

I doubt that GL would fold. They would simply pass the costs on. I'm sure THEIR CONTRACT has fixed stated costs and they are simply going off that list of rules they won THEIR contract under. I'm sure the gooberment didn't even read the title/sf-97 part, just the costs analysis to make sure they came out ahead.

There is way to much money on the table for GL to take the toys and smelt them. They flood the market, they lower the price they get for steel cause there is so much of it.

There are at least 3 PA GL sites. Do you think they want to truck everything out of state to avoid a judgment they lost in PA? Nope.

They HAVE modified their SF-97/title provision, there never was a title option before. Then Florida started getting them... now 'they decide' so something had to happen.

I could see new costs like $250+ for a title. Sales tax collected in every State where picked up, fee to preview etc etc etc. but not simply close the doors... there IS a profitable business in selling.

This is an Oregon document but makes complete sense:

title_form97

It would be kinda embarrassing if all the problems were uninformed DMV drones...... cause they never make mistakes.

I bet the contract they won and their bid could be gotten for the price of a FOIA request. Its all gotta be laid out in there.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That is the most speculative post(#25) I have ever read. Not one known fact, plenty of "I think"..

Think about this, most these "vehicles"(CUCV) would have qualified for cash for clunkers. M35 and M809 trucks were never meant to be used by the general public(read into that). The federal government does not "want" them put into use on the streets.

Simply put, it's all about money. If you think you can beat the Federal Government and a multi-millon dollar company, just to get a "free title, well, I think your gonna be disappointed.

Whitey

Seriously, they aren't trying to scam you. They are seriously lazy and mistake prone. The only way to protect yourself is to preview. I've been on previews where the listed vehicle wasn't even remotely like what was on the lot. I'm sure someone at some point has probally ended up with a M35A3 instead of a M35A2. Some of the lot workers taking the pictures haven't the slightest clue what the equipment is that they are listing. The company simply doesn't want to take any action that doesn't provide more revenue for them. :cookoo:

paulfarber

That is the most speculative post(#25) I have ever read. Not one known fact, plenty of "I think"..

Think about this, most these "vehicles"(CUCV) would have qualified for cash for clunkers. M35 and M809 trucks were never meant to be used by the general public(read into that). The federal government does not "want" them put into use on the streets.

Simply put, it's all about money. If you think you can beat the Federal Government and a multi-millon dollar company, just to get a "free title, well, I think your gonna be disappointed.

Your views are pretty off base, and mostly unsupported in fact.

Cash for clunkers did not apply to used vehicles for purchase. You could have traded one in, but you had to own/insure it for at least a year and had to purchase a new car. Plus the traded in vehicle had to be no more than 25 years old. Nothing older than 1984 model year could be traded in.

If the gooberment didn't want M35's or M809s in public hands, they would simply scrap them. Like M151's and Hummvs. One simple clause: Mutilation Required. That just about ends it.

Gooberment is about control. Not money. Money is made from lobbyists.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You missed every point I was trying to make, oh well.

paulfarber

I guess I did.

The OP wants a free trailer, a new tire and a refund. When the right course of action would have been to refuse the trailer claiming damage.

If the OP was all fired up for some justice he should file in small claims court, get a judgment and collect from GL.

Posting on SS about a chargeback is the last in a long list of not good ideas.

Funny thing about a chargeback.. you still gotta give the stuff back. At your cost.

kf4hoq

I have purchased 20 or 25 lots from various GL sites in Ga. and SC and have had good luck with Gl. The key is to inspect the lot you are interested in. There are large amounts of property going through these sites and there are bound to be some screw ups. If you are going to spend substantial money it's worth taking the time to check it out.

What sites? I know they have one at Warner-Robbins AFB. Where are the rest?

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
KF4hoq, please do not post the same question in multiple threads. We call that cross-posting and it's against the rules that you just read and agreed to when you joined.

Why not simply go to the GL website, and look around. It is easy to navigate. They have listings and locations broken down by states. They even have on line chat help available.

davidkroberts

used car salesmen are the same, bait and switch and hope you still buy
compairing used car salesmen to Government Liquidation does a disservice to used car salesmen everywhere. The piddley crap a car salesman can get away with is nothing compared to the master. The hurrdles you have to go through to get even a minor problem resolved is just awful.

kf4hoq

KF4hoq, please do not post the same question in multiple threads. We call that cross-posting and it's against the rules that you just read and agreed to when you joined.

Why not simply go to the GL website, and look around. It is easy to navigate. They have listings and locations broken down by states. They even have on line chat help available.
My appologies. I posted here first in response to another poster, and then decided to make a new thread about it. :oops:

86k10

compairing used car salesmen to GovernmentLiquidation does a disservice to used car salesmen everywhere. The piddley crap a car salesman can get away with is nothing compared to the master. The hurrdles you have to go through to get even a minor problem resolved is just awful.

You are absolutely right and if the Government can't run something as simple as an auction service, it doesn't take long to see why our country is in the shape it's in.