• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL cheated me

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Filing a congressional is not political. It is the procedure that is authorized to right the wrongs of a govt agency. It is like the nuclear option (LOL). I'm not making politics, I'm providing legitimate advice on how to get help. Ain't nothing wrong with that.

Every last person that has been wronged should write a short concise letter. Female dogging on here about it won't help. Everyone hitting the congressman at once will have a massive impact when 20 or 30 congressionals hit the COR at DLA. A sledge hammer between the eyeballs effect.

OK one step further. Everyone is to write their congressman within the next 5 days. The specific wording is GL acting as a contracted agent of the Defense Logistics Agency.

That should work.
CARNAC, My politics comment wasn't aimed at you. There are a few comments in this thread that could be considered politics NOT related to the hobby. I couldn't care less but I know the owners of the site don't like it and will delete the thread if it gets out of hand. :wink:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Guys - if you want to know who you are dealing with - go to the HOME web site for the

corporation that owns GL

Look at the name and the photo of the "3rd partner" - then ask your self why this company is

based in Wash. DC

And where the real money is coming from

I must not be seeing the correct link or need to get my tin foil hate or something.

greg6459

CARNAC, My politics comment wasn't aimed at you. There are a few comments in this thread that could be considered politics NOT related to the hobby. I couldn't care less but I know the owners of the site don't like it and will delete the thread if it gets out of hand. :wink:

I have a feeling that I am the guilty one regarding healthcare...

Not political, just a fact on the inefficiency of government such as:

Amtrak, USPS, VA...etc...

Big government contractors and certain agencies are notoriously inefficient.

I just feel that given most people's experience with such, putting health into that mix would not be a very wise decision, that's all...

greenjeepster

I would jump for joy the day that GL (private company) is fired and the liquidation of this stuff taken back by DRMO or GSA (government agencies). DRMO was much better and more efficient than GL and so is GSA.

TaylorTradingCo

"I am so glad that I didn't have to go through GL to get mine...

And just think, there a quite a few people out there that want the Government to run Health care...
:roll: "

Just because it says "Government" in their name and they are located on bases does not mean that they are part of the government. They are a privately owned company that just happens to have gotten in on a somewhat exclusive deal with the government. I bet there were some kickbacks in that deal.

I agree that dealing with them can be hard at times, but I must say in their defense that they are dealing with a huge amount of inventory every week and the logistics of it must be mindboggling, especially considering how few employees they have and what they have to work with.

I have been buying from them for 1 1/2 years now and currently have just over two dozen trucks in stock. The only real issues I have ever had with them were:
1. I failed to pick up something within the deadline and they resold it and kept my money. My fault.
2. They did not have the Deuce I bought one time, but they gave me a better one in its place.

So I cannot really complain about them much. I have heard all my life about how you could buy stuff really cheap at government auctions and didn't believe it was true. Well, now I understand it. It is because of all of the strings that are attached and hoops you must jump through. Not everyone is willing or able to do that. Being willing and able to work within their system is what enables you to get the good deals.

I just brought home a M818 road tractor last night that I paid well below the scrap metal price on. I fully expect it to run once I get batteries in it and check everything out. Where else are you going to find deals like that?

I do hear a lot of people complain about how selling this surplus stuff off doesn't make sense, that they pay more to ship it than they do get when they sell it. The military is not a "for profit" business. Their job is to protect us. I know I haven't ever felt threatened lately by any foreign power, actually ever, so I can say that they must be doing their job pretty well. Yes, I for one would like to see government run health care.

Derek Taylor

TaylorTradingCo

"Guys - if you want to know who you are dealing with - go to the HOME web site for the
corporation that owns GL Look at the name and the photo of the "3rd partner" - then ask your self why this company is based in Wash. DC And where the real money is coming from
"

I went to the link, after posted. Thomas Burton? What's wrong with that? I did't see anything about a third partner?

Derek Taylor

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Guys - if you want to know who you are dealing with - go to the HOME web site for the
corporation that owns GL Look at the name and the photo of the "3rd partner" - then ask your self why this company is based in Wash. DC And where the real money is coming from "

I went to the link, after posted. Thomas Burton? What's wrong with that? I did't see anything about a third partner?

Derek Taylor
Sorry for the confusion. The above link IS the third partner.

Here is the Officer List and Tom is the third partner Liquidity Services Inc. - Corporate Governance - Management

I think he was refering to the fact that Tom was with EG&G and now is in charge of disposing of Gov property.

The Janiter

I was not referring to "Tom"

"History" people, is always the place to start, and then follow the money!

Look up the beginning. It does not list the third partner in the text of this web site

but the picture is worth a 1000 words - read the article it tells all, of all three.

Alumni Profile: William P. Angrick III '95 and Jaime Mateus-Tique '95, Winter 2005, Kellogg World Alumni Magazine, Kellogg School of Management

These are the three that started - "Liquidity Services" - I was speaking of the original partners.

Tique retired in Aug.'09 but sits on the board today.

Haroon started other companys at later dates.

All of the information is on the internet - if you look it up

If any are interested you can look up the revenue of the company today, $89mill

and change

It's all in the "History"

Don't always look for instant gratification - spend a little time and you will be

surprised at what you may find!

Then you know for yourself, not just what others say - it changes "speculation to

fact"

Last edited:

The Janiter

Who had the money to start the buss. who had the 8A status to qualify for the gov. contract.

It is the same as in the construction end of gov. contracting

1. 8 A minority, qualify s for special consideration even if the 8 A company is a higher bidder.

2. 8 A status is good for 8 years

3. Which one of the partners had the start up money? the ones that just got there MBA or the one that was the '88 grad?

Do the math.

And if there is so much money coming out of this buss why is there no

competition for this contract.

Who determines how long the contract goes on after there is no 8A status?

Follow the money.

Or - follow the history of the new partners and where they came from.

Last edited:

davidkroberts

ive had some problems but not too many........ if you email a copy of your pictures/DL/ ect you have a copy of the email in your sent box. Ive used that to keep me out of hot water a few times. Its allot easier to make your point when you forward them a copy of all the emails you sent with all the correct info proving how they dropped the ball. Thats why I dont do any business with them over fax or phone it cant be verified

The Janiter

I have found vary few in the Scottsdale office that are good to deal with -

When I buy something from GL I call directly to these few and work only with them.

I call every few days and keep them in my loop and email them regularly

This has been my way of trying to alleviate the frustration working with GL

I suggest you make a few friends in their ranks and then only deal with those few.

Less headaches - less problems.

Even then screw ups happen -

Keep your expectations low and you won't be disappointed.

I've had mostly good experience with GL, so far...
Yesterday I brought a Rockwell 7-ton axle home to find it was filled with water and completely rusted, but I only paid a llittle over $300, and there are some good kingpins on it worth more than that.
I have had problems with paperwork, but their instant chat slut, "Hiedi", helped me fix them almost instantly. I call her a chat slut because "Heidi" is the same name used on about 5 different sites where they have instant chat ability, and none of them are related.
She also has 8 kids all fathered by different daddys...:jumpin:
Anyway, like I told a friend recently who got burned in a GSA auction in Georgia, you take a risk with all auctions. Right now, I have probably a little over 10 grand invested in about a quarter-million worth of equipment. My best buy so far has been am M1028 I picked up for $987, and my worst is that ****ed waterlogged axle.

redneck1277

I am still shopping for my first Deuce and haven't purchesd from GL yet. I keep getting outbid but I have to agree with those you that miss the old way. I rember the DRMO auctions not everything had a starting bid of 150$ so you could make out with some decent deals. you could meet some interesting dealers of this and that and sometimes trade after the fact. Ahhh how i miss the old days.

I just won 4 deuces, and used PayPal for the first time with GL. I have used PayPal many times with eBay, and never had a problem. Well, today when the invoice finally came through, it stated PayPal had declined payment.
Now I had Instant Chatted with "Hiedi" this morning at GL regarding paying for these with paypal, and according to her, I would be sent a money request via paypal, and have the usual 3 business days to pay for it. After the declined payment, I am wondering what to do next. As usual, I have to wait until Monday to talk to anyone at GL, so I am wondering if anyone has used PayPal with GL, and if so, what happened?
I am also real tempted to just not pay them and let them suspend my account. I am still waiting to be notified by Battle creek on items I paid for over a month ago, and now they have done this when I did everything I could to prevent it with my chat with that Heidi person this AM. Can they take me to court and force me to pay, or just revoke my account?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks