• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL cluster in Frankfort, KY yesterday

jackalay23

Curious if anybody was involved in the fiasco in Frankfort, KY yesterday. GL had a set Duece viewing time from 10 am until 1pm. Showed up at 10:15 and guess what? GL rep never made it. We were not let on base and cars with hopeful previewers were stacking up. We were finally let in by base personel around 11, but I never saw a GL rep. Does anybody know who dropped the ball?

kipman

I heard there was a meeting at fort knox with gl brass, they did not bother to change the preview on the website, I got word early and did not go because of the intel.

djimmy31

Kipman it's more like gl pot metal. The people that showed up could have totally got the shaft if the guard finally didn't let us all in. I can't believe the way it was handled. :evil:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I was in the area but figured it would be bad. I wouldn't have been able to show up till after 2 anyway. Glad I was waived off.

ida34

I have noticed some that some items look pretty similar on some of the auctions. Right down to the bumper number and rust spots. Crazy stuff. Like a grab bag. You never know what you will get. This was from the Michigan auctions.

JCKnife

Yeah not only that, but the auction was reduced from 60 trucks to about 30, AFTER bidding had started, because they pulled all the lots that had no pics up.

Maybe this is commonplace but I was a little ticked. I had already bid on one of those.

greenjeepster

I had bids on two trucks without pics, one got pulled and the other pics got loaded up on. The good news is that if they pull some of the trucks we will have a second chance at winning one if it doesn't happen this time around. Looks to me like the bidding on them is going to be pretty competitive this afternoon. I am a little surprised that people have been knocking my bids off as early as they have been, usually it is a waiting game down to the last minute and then trucks start dropping.
After this auction is over we should discus the strategies some of us use to win items at GL auctions. My main strategy is to bid higher than everybody else ;-)

greenjeepster

I have noticed some that some items look pretty similar on some of the auctions. Right down to the bumper number and rust spots. Crazy stuff. Like a grab bag. You never know what you will get. This was from the Michigan auctions.
It is pretty common for GL to use the same photos over and over. Their are several trucks at Frankfort right now. lot 6901 has a flat on the passenger side front and some of its pictures have been used on a few other trucks as well. Cant trust the pictures as a reference of what you will get.

djimmy31

There is one out there that has no front passenger wheel or brakes. Looks it had a major failure on the way in. I hope they dont leave that picture as that would be a huge surprise when you arrive to pickup!!!

JCKnife

There is one out there that has no front passenger wheel or brakes. Looks it had a major failure on the way in. I hope they dont leave that picture as that would be a huge surprise when you arrive to pickup!!!
I don't have my notes sheet with me right now but I *think* that truck is not currently up for auction.

I can look at my notes when I get home.

ida34

It is pretty common for GL to use the same photos over and over. Their are several trucks at Frankfort right now. lot 6901 has a flat on the passenger side front and some of its pictures have been used on a few other trucks as well. Cant trust the pictures as a reference of what you will get.
It used to be done only with a large amount of the same stuff being auctioned. Now it seems to be happening more and more. If there are only 10 trailers to be auctioned it would not take that much more time to take the correct pictures and post them. I really would like to know the official company line on this. If they do use one photo to describe many lots then they need to disclose this in the description. Also, I have purchased many items from GL and I know the drill all to well. The point of my post was to tell others not to trust the pics.