• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL/DRMO Trickledown effect

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally! This thread went POLITICAL!

Carnac,

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, Carnac, your ban is over. This thread is re-opened.

M813 has been warned(as per the rules), next political comment from him gets M813 a week off.

People, please realize we have rules and if you break them, it may cause others pain.

One more political comment and Carnac gets Neutered!

Last edited:

3dAngus

That was funny!

Anyway, my experience is, 5 of 10 govt workers would opt to take a day off (Friday) every other week without pay if given the opportunity for an extra fishing trip, and the government would not suffer as a result of this one day loss. In many cases, government is going to one day off every other Friday like Corporate is, for energy savings, but they have to work 9 hours a day and make up for it. I never could take the pay loss in my 36 years working for govt as it was food off the table on a tight budget, and I would have worked for pay given the opportunity, but I don't really think, in most cases and organizations, a scheduled day off once every two weeks is going to impact anything if done once every two weeks. The bad part is, it is without pay, and that is food off the table. Sorry, but I just see no impact to GL. Just an opinion.

Fact: I had 4 hours sick leave, and 8 hours annual leave, for every two weeks I worked. Then I had about 10-12 holidays paid for. This means, I had one day off free for every 6 1/2 days I worked. That's 39 paid days off for leisure and sick leave and say 10 vacation days, roughly 50 paid days off a year, when a week is only 5 days and not 7, for a total of 260 days a year. There was never an impact to any operation as a result of me or anyone else taking those days, and they were paid for. Scheduling is the key, but that becomes impossible for sick leave. I don't see the world coming to an end without Saturday mail delivery either.
My heart goes out to anyone who has to take a pay cut however. I am with you on that and find it totally unfair.
Blue collar, production type environments are definitely an exception. You simply cannot make up production for a missing man. White collar becomes a management issue where management should address the issue and provide backup in essential activities in any absense of a person.

This is a totally non-political post and factually on subject.

Last edited:

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Lots of speculation and not a lot of top level guidance at the moment. At least in the DoN, "Transportation" and "Travel" are different things, funding wise and should not be confused. Moving surplus vehicles to a collection/deaccessing site seems a justifiable end-of-lifecycle O&M cost to me that would come out of program funding, not unit funding (at least that's how it *usually* works with aircraft).

And DLA can't just levy a requirement on GL to pick up the burden/cost of relocating deacessed (many of them "dead") assets. If there's no option or provision in the contract DLA has with GL (which is highly doubtful), It would require, at the least, a mod to their contract that could get expensive (to the Government) as well.

Just my $.02
Correct but the shipment to the maint, back, and then to the collection area is all SDT funding.

acme66

Sequester Trucks?

As a high school teacher I have many students who have gone off into the armed forces. I was talking with some about the trucks they drove (finding out pro/con and favorites). Several felt if Sequester happened and I could hold off until mid/late summer to buy the market might be flooded with units. Newer mid nineties stuff. The consensus was the market will be flush, prices will drop and the selection will be nicer. What do you guys think?

Ken

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Merged, one political comment, and the dummy gets it... (again)

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still don't understand the furloughs. The sequester doesn't cut "existing" budgets, but rather cuts the "increase" for this year. So why would anyone be laid off, if they are still getting the same money as last year??

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I still don't understand the furloughs. The sequester doesn't cut "existing" budgets, but rather cuts the "increase" for this year. So why would anyone be laid off, if they are still getting the same money as last year??
If I had to guess, I'd say because due to the normal inflation of an economy, the amount of people that $100 "bought" in terms of people/labor hours last year will only buy 8 or 9 this year.

So even though the amount being spent stays the same or grows slightly, it will not "purchase" as much as it did in the last fiscal year.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pete, They are not getting the same money as last year, they still get an increase and more money is being spent than last year even with the sequester. Only with the sequester do you take a 19% increase and reduce it to a 12% increase and call it a cut. (Figures not accurate, they are used for demonstration purposes.) You didn't cut anything and you still get more money than last year.

Will the sequester actually reduce the size of the military and push more MVs out the door to GL or DRMO? I doubt it, but the rest of the cuts to the military will do that for us. By the next GA Rally maybe we will have a bunch of members driving their own FMTVs.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
This is an opinion and is not directed at either political party or at our current leadership.
The problem with any government program or department (for example the Department of Education) is that once funded it is almost impossible to get rid of them as they usually end up as some office holders pet project.
There are many programs that are identical or overlap but no one in power wants to put people out of a job by doing away with them. Cutting or melding these programs could save millions if not billions a year.
Each fiscal year these organizations must use all available funds or risk having funding cut.....there is no incentive to save the taxpays money.
In addition many organizations or programs must prove they are actually doing something to earn their funding......this often causes "mission creep" (a military term) where they constantly try to expand their "customer base" so they can claim they are a desperatly needed entity. Sometimes they are doing things they were never supposed to do. An example is the USDA. "Originally, the Bureau of Agriculture's (now the USDA) intended role was to increase crop production and promote new research discoveries. The first Commissioner of Agriculture, Isaac Newton, had a yearly budget of less than $90 thousand which enabled him to hire four scientists (entomology, chemistry, statistics, and horticulture) that oversaw all of the nation's farms."
As we all know the USDA has grown into a huge Government Department with a huge budget to match. Any attempt to reign it in is met by oppositon from both parties since the agency oversees food stamps and farm subsidies.
This is true across the board for all agencies and departments. Each one is a fifedom controlled by bureacrats that don't want their ox gored.
I have seen some vehicles sell out of GL that I never expected to see so soon after they were fielded. It cost money to store vehicles but it cost more to replace them. If we ever have another major war I fear our reduced production capacity may leave us in the lurch for all types of stuff.
Last year I loaded out vehicles that the government paid over 100K for. Some had almost no miles or wear on them and they sold for pennies on the dollar.
The lunatics are running the asylum.

3dAngus

My preference is they sell the newer vehicles to the screened public, buy them back, upon need, for "National Security" purposes.

Let the public use them, and provide the maintenance for them. Everybody wins.

Probably better then sitting and having seals and steel sit and rot. In my opinion, the maintenance will not be as good, but the care would be far better when someone pulls money out of their pocket for the purchase, then when someone drives them for free. Much less abuse.

The real tragedy is the "scrap yard" mentality. I'm not referring to private interests.

Heavysteven

The whole situation upsets me very deeply. I just hope they don't cut funding to my project or I'll be looking for work. Not a single project has my company been worried about funds till now. Word is there going to pull out the rug under contractors.

Fingers crossed I have a meeting Friday and my first pay request is in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks