• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL & HUMMVe

pctrans

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only relevant thing that I have grasped from this entire thread, is that some people REALLY should learn some grammar or at least USE THE SPELL-CHECK !!!!

ryan77

You got a guy here who is willing to take the time to try and get more for the hobby and everyone beats him up or worries about spelling and grammar. He got the fmv plates in Illinois! Give the guy a break.

KsM715

All you'll end up accomplishing is bringing a bunch of attention to OUR trucks.

Instead "hey yeah, we should release these HMMWV's" what will actually happen is "holy crap, we shouldn't be releasing ANY of this stuff! Thanks for bringing it to our attention."

Thats the route I see this going.

Doing something "in-state" like getting the FMV plates is one thing. When you bring something to Congress its an entirely new game.

bguy193

I researched this topic long ago. What I was told was that it boiled down to the fact that Am General was trying to sell the civy model (H1) for over $50k and the government was dumping HMMWVs to the public out the surplus door for scrap values this created a rift between the two. When I asked if it had to do with safety concearns or EPA restrictions I was told," If that was the case they would simply not allow an HMMWV to ever be plated in the US, they would be labled an off road only vehicle. Unless they were modified to meet EPA and Federal Roadway safety regs." Basically he was saying it would have to pass the same inspections as a kit car to be registered. I am not saying that this is a solid fact........I am just telling you what I had found out.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
This harkens back to when the Gamma Goats and M151's were being surplussed out.

This was before GL when DRMO had sealed bid auctions on large lots of vehicles.....I met a guy at Fort McClellan, AL that had bought 35 M151's for 15 bucks each. They had just been retrofitted with the ROPS at the Annistion Army Depot.

He was allowed to remove everything that would unbolt from the unibody pan and take it with him. The body had to be cut in four pieces and was then loaded into dumpsters by DRMO personnel.

If the DRMO guy was easy some of those pieces made it off post and were weled back together and the parts reattached......I see these vehicles at a lot of rallys.

The Gamma Goats suffered the same fate for the same reason....in the wrong hands they were dangerous and could get someone killed quick.

The gooberment and AMG are prob scared green of ambulance chasers going after them if a surplused vehicle caused injury or death due to a "Design Flaw".

I drove a Command Hummer in Korea and I'll never want to drive another one.....that being said I hate to see taxpayer dollars wasted by sending these vehicles to the scrapper.

Good luck tilting at windmills.

I personally have drivin the Hummvee's all variants and im not a fan.All are bulky and hard to see out off the only variant i liked was the 2 seater pickup truck variant.But im with the rest of the bunch in saying its probably better left alone.That they arent being released,I was givin a rough time when i registered my M1008 they ran the the vin and near about said it didnt exist and when it did come up they said we can't insure it its a military truck.Mind you i didnt say athing about being a military truck its the fact that it has the letter d in the vin.Though i am against all the waste and abuse of my tax payer money i think some things should be left alone.[thumbzup]

Btw. I have seen what happens when a hummer gets in to a wreck.I was behind one and saw this i feel for our men and women.No wonder the have a helmet,flak jacket and steel toed boots on its the only thing that saved both of them.It was a non armored Hummvee that i witnessed .They are iconic,I will say that god bless america and those that defend her :]

Last edited:

flighht2k5

Banned
I personally have drivin the Hummvee's all variants and im not a fan.All are bulky and hard to see out off the only variant i liked was the 2 seater pickup truck variant.But im with the rest of the bunch in saying its probably better left alone.That they arent being released,I was givin a rough time when i registered my M1008 they ran the the vin and near about said it didnt exist and when it did come up they said we can't insure it its a military truck.Mind you i didnt say athing about being a military truck its the fact that it has the letter d in the vin.Though i am against all the waste and abuse of my tax payer money i think some things should be left alone.[thumbzup]

Btw. I have seen what happens when a hummer gets in to a wreck.I was behind one and saw this i feel for our men and women.No wonder the have a helmet,flak jacket and steel toed boots on its the only thing that saved both of them.
You know what they say about opinions.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
My HMMWV isn't as safe as my Tundra in a crash, and that is one of the reasons that I drive my Tundra 80 miles a day for my commute. On the other hand, my HMMWV is far safer than any motorcycle. I would guess that its weakest area is side impact protection.

You know what they say about opioins your right i do

You know what they say about opinions.

Among other things drive them,pay $50,000 for a real hummvee. Im glad you own one if thats your cup of tea go right ahead.Some of us arent as well off or lucky enough to own such an iconic figure.:wink: Though i love od green,I do have other hobbies.Im very fortunate to have been able to do the corrosion prevention to the equipment that our men and women depend on out in the field.With that being said i have seen some stuff that the average american shouldnt see. I will just stick with my cucvs.:]

Last edited:

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I'm skeptical that selling trucks without engines for $60k is a workable business plan, when the sorts of folks who want real military HMMWVs are buying and selling them right now for around $30k. But whether it would fly or not, if AM General thinks it would fly, then that would be enough reason for them to continue using their influence to keep HMMWVs on the demil list. :-(

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All you'll end up accomplishing is bringing a bunch of attention to OUR trucks.

Instead "hey yeah, we should release these HMMWV's" what will actually happen is "holy crap, we shouldn't be releasing ANY of this stuff! Thanks for bringing it to our attention."
"Oh, and we'd like them all back now, please bring them to the nearest scrap vehicle processing yard for turn in."

Sometimes rocking a boat will let the water flow in and sink it.

I personally hate the things but don't think they should be disposed of the way they are doing it.

The whole excuse of selling surplus makes the government money doesn't wash well either- I know many many trucks and trailers that cost the gov the same or more than the winning bid to ship to the DRMO in the first place. They would make more money on those items just letting them sit and rot or scrap on site, since they don't have DRMO locations or do sales out of every little podunk armory.

Last edited:

undysworld

It seems to me that since the civilian version of the Hummer met FMVSS for the year of mfg. (they had to by federal law), then it's likely possible to modify a military HMMWV to meet those same standards. (In the case of a vehicle being imported from another country, this modification is performed by a Registered Importer.)

However, any vehicle which is older than 25 yrs. is exempted from FMVSS regulation/s or requirements by federal law. At a certain age, HMMWV's will also become exempt from FMVSS.

Interestingly, California state law specifically prohibits registration of HMMWVs [EDIT this is wrong, see below], while Wisconsin state law specifically allows for registration of HMMWVs. A NHTSA Letter of Interpretation refers to a ban for safety reasons. So much for consistency.

I'm not sure where all this takes you. But the more info you can access, the better your chances of success.

Last edited:

flighht2k5

Banned
Among other things drive them,pay $50,000 for a real hummvee. Im glad you own one if thats your cup of tea go right ahead.Some of us arent as well off or lucky enough to own such an iconic figure.:wink: Though i love od green,I do have other hobbies.Im very fortunate to have been able to do the corrosion prevention to the equipment that our men and women depend on out in the field.With that being said i have seen some stuff that the average american shouldnt see. I will just stick with my cucvs.:]
I don't own one either. I have lots of hours behind the wheel though. They are amazing trucks. I dont quite understand what seeing things the average American shouldn't see has anything to do with the subject.

Tanner

AS with some certain cars that have passed the test like a Festiva,smart car, Yugo,etc i would rather get hit by a suburban in a hummer then any of those mobile coffins....
SMART cars have done amazingly well in crash tests.

Festiva's? When have you last seen one on the road?
YUGO's? Now you're showing your age. rofl

Okay.

So, say that you get the gubment types to allow civvy sales of de-milled HMMWV's. Great. Who steps up to the plate to spend the mucho time/mucho monies required to become a qualified Vehicle Certification shop to perform updates to legitimately bring the vehicles up to required standards?

Then - there's the fact that this is a limited market potential. The ROI isn't likely to be there. And the resulting vehicles won't be cheap.

Bueller?

saddamsnightmare

November 19th, 2012.

PMR Ramsey:

You might have noted that the "Army of One" recruiters truck was not an HMMWV, they are all H-3 Hummers, a completely different animal from the military HMMWV's. And for Twinkie the Kid, aka Ryan77, if Uncle wants to loan them to the police and fire departments (HMMWV), you do, of course realize that their operation on public highways is covered by your state and municipal governments, who are generally self-insured. Should one get into an accident, your lawyer is not going to be able to outspend their lawyer, so what's the issue here? No HMMWV's are now or in the future going to be released to the taxpayers, so either buy one of the USMC ones that came out in the 1990's or early 2000's, or go to Switzerland and get a Mowag "Eagle", equivalent to our HMMWV's.
For all the crying I hear on here about HMMWV's, if you happen to drive a Unimog U1300L, you won't want a HMMWV, the later ones just can't equal a Unimog for utility.(IMHOP);-)

ryan77

November 19th, 2012.

PMR Ramsey:

You might have noted that the "Army of One" recruiters truck was not an HMMWV, they are all H-3 Hummers, a completely different animal from the military HMMWV's. And for Twinkie the Kid, aka Ryan77, if Uncle wants to loan them to the police and fire departments (HMMWV), you do, of course realize that their operation on public highways is covered by your state and municipal governments, who are generally self-insured. Should one get into an accident, your lawyer is not going to be able to outspend their lawyer, so what's the issue here? No HMMWV's are now or in the future going to be released to the taxpayers, so either buy one of the USMC ones that came out in the 1990's or early 2000's, or go to Switzerland and get a Mowag "Eagle", equivalent to our HMMWV's.
For all the crying I hear on here about HMMWV's, if you happen to drive a Unimog U1300L, you won't want a HMMWV, the later ones just can't equal a Unimog for utility.(IMHOP);-)
I never said anything about insurance i said if there so dangerous then why do they allow them to be on the public road's at all... I dont feel there dangerous i drove one when i was in. There are far more dangerous vehicles on the road at any given time. Thats all i was saying.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the belief in the temp release to police and fire departments is that: they are TRAINED to drive them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks