• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL Incorrectly charging sales tax on motor vehicles?

spartan_185

I just wanted to tell everybody about a recent experience I had with GL. I do this in hopes that I can keep others from getting charged too much for what you bid on and won. It all started yesterday. I bid on and won two trucks in Ft. Polk Louisiana. Naturally I get my invoice today and it shows that GL had charged an 8% sales tax on top of the original amount plus buyers fee. Thinking that there might be a mistake, I looked back at one of my invoices from less than a year ago for a truck that I had bought at the same location. I discovered that the previously bought truck had indeed been bought without sales tax. In Louisiana, like Oklahoma, you dont pay a sales tax on vehicles. You pay an excise tax to the state when you register them. I called GL, and of course I had to show them the above evidence. They told me that they would have to submit my request to the tax department and that they would get back to me. After about 3 hours I received a phone call back from GL stating that they had indeed incorrectly charged me sales tax on my trucks and that they would deduct the sales tax amount from the invoice amount. So in the end, I was a happy customer once more. I just hope that I am the only one this happened to.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You must be the first to buy trucks in your state from them.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Fort Polk GL purchases are a roll of the dice. Sometimes I have been charged, sometimes not and no one can give me a straight answer even though I am a La resident.

I just live with it and think of it as my donation to the state as they were kind enough to pave the highway from Alex to Ft Polk and expand it to 4 lanes and that was worth the price of admission :)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
They did it to me once, no big deal. When I took the paperwork to the Ohio people they credited me the amount GL had already collected.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They did it to me once, no big deal. When I took the paperwork to the Ohio people they credited me the amount GL had already collected.
Same in TX. It has happened to me several times and as long as I have an invoice that shows GL collected the tax I was not charged that amount when registering the vehicle.

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Same in TX. It has happened to me several times and as long as I have an invoice that shows GL collected the tax I was not charged that amount when registering the vehicle.
:ditto: In Texas if you were charged sales tax on your invoice regardless of state it will be credited to you when you file for the title. If the tax was less then you pay the difference, if the tax was more then it covered the tax Texas would charge you and you get a tax "credit" in the state of purchase so I've been told. I've had it all ways with no rhyme or reason, just roll with the punches as you'll get taxed one way or another.

R Racing

Not in MD. In the past the MVA has charged me and told me to take it up with.GL .because they collect the tax at registration. So it's either I pay tax twice or not get my trucks on the road !!

spartan_185

Not in MD. In the past the MVA has charged me and told me to take it up with.GL .because they collect the tax at registration. So it's either I pay tax twice or not get my trucks on the road !!
I've had the same thing happen to me here in Oklahoma before on some trucks I had bought in Missouri. Missouri charges tax and then Oklahoma refuses to recognize it. So I get to pay it twice. That's what made me do a double take when they charged me sales tax in Louisiana this time.

TruAg

When I bought the trucks from GL and was charged sales tax, I did not pay it again when registering the trucks in Texas. Since it had already been paid. Additionally, even though I purchased the truck in one location, that did not mean that was where it came from and so for example if I purchased at Ft. Polk but the truck came from a base in Florida, I was told it was the state the truck originated from. In the end, as long as I didn't pay sales tax twice, purchase and when registering it, I was okay with it. Just my two cents.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Kazakhstan, you pay no tax so GL refunds you in Dongs.

FWIW, 1 rupee = .016 US dollars( 343.29 Vietnamese Dong = 1 rupee or 0.000047 US dollar) and now that the Loonie has dropped lower than under .80 American, well you get the picture.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks