• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL Lost Surplus Contract

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I was doing a PU today and the site rep stated That GL's contract was up and they wouldn't know till Wed 12/06/17 if they were renewed or not. If they didn't get the contract they were only going to have 90 to sell off whatever had been already transferred to them.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
I think the gov has an option to renew or they can put it back out to contract bid. GL can just bid on the contract again though. I don't think the parts contract is quite as profitable as the rolling stock one. I bet GL ends up with it either way.

maa45069

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unfortunately you may be absolutely correct. I agree with you about the lack of competition being a problem but I think the idea of another company having the opportunity to bid is great. I wish it was not a monopoly.

aleigh

I don't know about GL but for trivia the original IP contract was awarded as a 2-year in 2014 with 5 optional 1-year extensions. Given that so for as I know the DLA can re-up out until what, 2021, and then they will be forced to bid it.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well crap.. they've become GL. I've been having worse or "more GL like" service quality since Richie Bros bought GP.
I've had "very good" and "very bad" experiences with both. I can't say I have a preference between the two when it comes to customer service.

End prices on items that get chased, like trucks, really aren't any different either.

End prices on items that don't get chased hard are much higher with GP due to starting bid price protection. I prefer the $25 and no reserve, but then I'm buying and not selling....

The major effect this is likely to have is geographic distribution. GL has the major OKC warehouse, and then the two in OH. GL moves items across the country to concentrate them in these places - I wonder where GP will concentrate it? ( Ft Riley would be nice :) )

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There will no longer be bargains to be had. IP has successfully squeezed the price up on most commodities. There will be no more $25 lots like there is no $100 trailers anymore. Everything will be retail priced. I am afraid I don't see any good news in this announcement......:shock:

Since they won the bid by promising uncle sugar more ROI, they have to recoup it by higher pricing.:cry:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I've been to the lockbourne warehouse once in a while. I believe GP will sh1t a brick with "volume of inventory" if they try to raise prices very much.

PHasty

GovPlanet Rep
Leave it to Corporate to ruin my chance to set the stage first and inform everyone of how things will play out. Once everything is Official and the plan is written in stone versus pencil, I will update everyone on how things will go. If you haven't had the chance yet, I would suggest you visit the GovPlanet Direct portion of our website and get familiar with some of the differences...And I will be here to help and answer questions along the way.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Leave it to Corporate to ruin my chance to set the stage first and inform everyone of how things will play out. Once everything is Official and the plan is written in stone versus pencil, I will update everyone on how things will go. If you haven't had the chance yet, I would suggest you visit the GovPlanet Direct portion of our website and get familiar with some of the differences...And I will be here to help and answer questions along the way.

So how do you get to the GovPlanet Direct portion of your website

PHasty

GovPlanet Rep
So how do you get to the GovPlanet Direct portion of your website
On the home page in the middle of the screen is large banner that say 'GovPlanet Direct'...looks like this GP Direct.JPG This is where the majority of the State and local government agencies, Ohio, PA Turnpike, USMC, TN Gen Services, list all of their surplus equipment for sale.

Last edited:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A few requests to the new cv contract holder: quit sending 90% of the surplus to central national warehouses. This adds huge motor freight costs to us buyers. Also, please don't mix in non- DOD sales items in with the surplus items. Sick of looking at listings for ragged out forklifts/log skidders and the like.

PHasty

GovPlanet Rep
A few requests to the new cv contract holder: quit sending 90% of the surplus to central national warehouses. This adds huge motor freight costs to us buyers. Also, please don't mix in non- DOD sales items in with the surplus items. Sick of looking at listings for ragged out forklifts/log skidders and the like.
The new contract is actually two separate contracts, East and West. Due to that requirement the warehouses will be positioned as such. At a minimum there will be 2 separate national warehouses, located on each side of the country. We have several proposed sites right now and once they are finalized I will let everyone know. As far as mixing sales, you can sort by buyer on your search filters

PHasty

GovPlanet Rep
PHasty, I volunteer my garage. Oh shoot, its already full of HMMWV parts, never mind.
Lol...With that said though, once the warehouse locations are finalized, we will be conducting a pretty massive hiring event for warehouse workers, transporters, inspectors, as well as admin positions. If any of ya'll are interested or have friends/family looking for jobs please keep checking our careers page located at the bottom of our website. It would be nice to hire folks that have at least a working knowledge of the government surplus arena.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks