• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL...M101A2 and Condition Ratings

mxndrnks

Hi Guys,

New guy... I have been looking for an M101A2 on GL. I see several on there but am baffled by the condition ratings. I found one that looks to be in really good condition based on the photos but it has been given an H7 condition rating. I see others that look to be in worse condition that have an F7 or better rating. Is this something I really need to worry about? has any one gone to pick up a trailer that had an H7 rating and not been able to pull it home?

Sorry if this is a subject that come up often. I searched with no avail and I spent time in the GL section. But, since this was trailer specific, I thought I would post here. Thanks!

Also, given the choice between an M101A1 with an F7 rating and an M101A2 with an H7 is there any reason I should pick one over the other because of rating? everything I have read thus far has people recommending the A2/3's due to the surge brakes. Anything else I should be aware of? Thanks!

Bighurt

They are required to list condition however condition is set by the turn in agency. I know for a fact we (minot afb) turn in F7 condition items as H7 so that no other unit can pull that item while it's under DRMO control. GL states they have no control on that portion.

You play the game and take your chances, I've seen fully functional next to new assets listed as condemed and nearly condemed listed as incomplete.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the Site.
All above, is good advice.

Condition is always a crap shoot. Sometimes, even when you look, but there are great buys out there.

About the difference between the A1 & A2: Bodies are essentially the same, but the A1 was designed to go with the M37. It has the mostly considered obsolete 900x16 tires, mounted on 5 hole 16" budd wheels, and only parking brakes.

The A2 however, has 235x16R, load range E tires, on standard 8 hole wheels. It also has a great surge brake system.

The A2 is a great trailer. Change the light bulbs to 12 volts, and the end on the light cable, and you have a super utility trailer.

mxndrnks

I'm not sure what the average price is. I have seen under $200 up to around $800 from private sellers and the one on Expo for $1250 (but man it is nice!). Obviously I am hoping for as low as possible:lol:. I am guessing the two I have been watching will end up selling for around the $500 with all fees paid seeing the bidding is currently about $300 with almost a day and a 1/2 left to go.

Your trailer build on Expo is how I ended up here and got the itch for one. Like others, the 416's are getting harder to find and the prices are reflecting that. And, to be honest, I think it is just a tad too small for my needs. We are a family of four and until recently also had a German Shepherd. The Land Cruiser was just busting at the seams when taking trips. So, the M101A-1/2/3's are the perfect size for my needs and what I plan to do with it. You know... a little light duty around the house when needed and built and loaded for trips to Baja Et al. the rest of the time...:jumpin:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With a Land Cruiser I wouldn't even consider a A1 , you will want something with brakes . A short and narrow wheelbase truck and a wide heavy trailer ( when loaded) is not a good combination without working brakes .

mxndrnks

I'm sure I will want brakes. In all actuality, I will eventually replace the axle and install electric brakes. I just wasnt sure if there were other more important things than the Surge brakes I should be looking for (like the 8 lug hubs and wheels). But, it sounds like from what I am planning to do, I should just keep an eye out for a good deal on a clean one and not worry as much about the 1/2/3 designation.

If I were driving some of the smaller Cruisers I would be more concerned. Heck even if it were an 80 series... but my 100 series I think should do fine for road and the type of off road travel I plan to do with it. Which is basically a base camp to explore from.

http://i42.tinypic.com/30vom0k.jpg

My biggest concern with pulling any of these is going to be the want/need to regear my truck to pull that much weight off-road.

Attachments

harleyhouse

Your 100 should have no problem with a 102A
Find one in good condition change the surge lunette and the axle out for a
3500 # dexter with matching bolt pattern and electric brakes.
Then it will be more user friendly for you.
The 101A2 I have is a nice size behind my 2500 GMC

You could always go with a custom tub on a 116 frame.

Attachments