• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL Mistakes not all bad

randygk

029 - Copy.JPGI bid on a M923A1 at French Camp GL and won. I stated does not run, towed in, no batteries. So I decided to keep the bid low and if I won I would hope for something inexpensive or easy to repair. I loaded up the pickup with all the tools, chemicals, batteries, diesel, pumps, electrical, etc. and traveled the 80 miles to see if I could start it. The GL guy said it runs but needs a jump, before he jumped it I got in and it started right up. Drove it home with no problem. 2200 miles on the truck. Needless to say I'm happy.

HASSON1911

Wow awesome snag, care to say what you walked away at? I got mine at 3k needs paint but is a sound runner and has working CTIS.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
There are people working there that take short cuts and a lot of them use the same discription over and over. By stating that it does not run....etc...etc...etc they can say "I told you so" if you get there and it is FUBAR.
I have bought a lot of trucks from GL and only one or two would not start without a lot of work. The only one I bought that had a bad engine was the M816 wrecker and that was my fault for not inspecting it in person since I knew it was a "residue truck".
I have had several nice surprises over the years and one or two skunkings.
On the whole I'm satified with GL although I have had a few issues that required dealing with the head shed out in AR. Usually it's just a matter of finding someone who can actually help you verses someone that is just there to deflect you away from the one that can help you.
Live chat seems to work better than trying to call and talk to a manager.
Bottom line is that it's a crapshoot and you pays your money and takes your chances.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bottom line is that it's a crapshoot and you pays your money and takes your chances.
WM is right. It's like rolling the dice going by the description on a truck.

I recently saw several trucks listed as "won't start" and "parts missing" but in the video it showed them driving the trucks.

Just keep in mind that these deals can also go the other way. I've been on both sides of the coin but I know what I'm getting into when I bid without inspection.

3rdaavbn

If it was'nt for the good stories, non of us would bid. Prices are surely going up, but for $ 3,100.00, that's alot of hardware you just won. What a steal!

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got an M923A2 myself, $3250, I had to have the top restitched at the front, CTIS works great. I'm missing the extension bar and hardware for the spare tire carrier and mine has almost 30K on the odometer. YOU sir got a real steal! Congrats!

BillMc

The stories I love is hearing how the GL guys helped with this or that at loadout. The guys at Red River in Texas won't lift a finger for nothing. Great snag on the truck.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was at Red River in Nov 2011 and can tell you they helped me with a trailer but were real cautious about helping. Seemed some real quality individual had gotten a truck there in the recent past and was left unattended to get his truck taken care of. Not sure what lot, because they have multiple pick up gl locations there. Thus individual did all his fluid pms by literally draining it all straight to the ground, left his trash & old filters, and made quite a mess for those folks. Of course this is a Military Base that has to follow EPA protocols on the cleanup. GL was burned by a unscrupulous unethical hopefully non ss person.

Both times I have been there, now requires an attendant to be with you till you are past the drmo/office gate and on your way. My pick ups at Belle Chasse, Ft. Polk, Huntsville, and Red River were outstanding with the individuals I met. Shelby, well that is another story. Most GL folks I have met are nice caring individuals who go beyond if treated nicely and politely at the sites.