• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL now show video to dump M101

NEIOWA

KsM715, that's what tilt means. Dump is entirely different.

It was NOT designed to carry a load and dump it. It was designed to tilt for packing them in a plane or ship for transport.

The Chief put up some nice pictures a while back of them stowed in the tilt position where they just packed a ton of them in there for shipping. I forgot what thread it was, but it was an interesting and educational read.
How about "reduce" for shipment?

Certainly wouldn't do for transport by air. If the AF gives up one of their precious birds you're not going to load empty trailers on it and they certainly aren't going to wait for you to load a bunch of disassembled trailers on board.

For maximizing storage in the holds of old fashioned breakbulk cargo ships (as a Liberty etc). Today we use RORO and has the folding hitch really has no utility only a novelty.

3dAngus

How about "reduce" for shipment?

Certainly wouldn't do for transport by air. If the AF gives up one of their precious birds you're not going to load empty trailers on it and they certainly aren't going to wait for you to load a bunch of disassembled trailers on board.

For maximizing storage in the holds of old fashioned breakbulk cargo ships (as a Liberty etc). Today we use RORO and has the folding hitch really has no utility only a novelty.

Not only will the Air Force carry them, they will do an air drop with them.

Reference T.O. 13C7-1-13 for air handling and drop of the M101A2 trailer.

KsM715

3dAngus, Not trying to argue but did you look at the links I posted? Thats exactly what the links show. But GL is still doing it wrong. They do not "tilt" that way.

Edited to add pic. Note how the tongue lays in sketch #3

Attachments

Last edited:

3dAngus

OK, I guess I got lost in how you said it. Thanks.

I recall that picture from the Chief putting it up and do remember it. It's the correct way. And now I fully understand what you meant. You're right.