• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL price fixing?

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have no proof for any of this but it seems to me that GL is doing the best they can with what they have. The people at the yards are quite helpful and I have gotten outstanding support from them online and via the phone. Sure they advertize they are in business and anyone who is knows more folks who know about it the better the business. I agree that there are too many risks for them to be ghost bidders in the sky.

There are people who bid and default on lots of things these days. It is more a sign of our society being mostly hot air now days. Look at the morals being taught in school... almost none to see the result of entering into a contract only to default minutes after reading the bidding agreement.

I have hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of former USGI equipment in aquisistion cost value that I got for almost pennies on the dollar from GL so I guess I am not too prone to complain. Sure I have lost some sweet trucks to the imfamous 8500 guy but he or she has deeper pockets than I do or perhaps not as many mouths to feed.

I think we all ought to take a look at the great things that have come our way through both the DRMS auctions and GL. I have not won anything on GSA yet but give me time. I still prefer to buy from a private source if possible as buying the M52 from Alan Cors was a truely enjoyable process that adds to the mystique of the truck adding to it the history of the truck that GL or GSA rarely provides.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Heck,

Look at all the postings on here that are "I bought something on GL thats 1000+ miles away from me, and I now have 3 days before I default on it because my 1st, 2nd, and 3rd plan fell thru. Please help!"

Unforgiven

A buddy of mine has quit bidding all together. He bid on a specific M1028 truck. Bid was run up by another party until he quit bidding and suposedly went to the other bidder. Next auction cycle it was there again. Same outcome. Next cycle, same truck again. He emailed GL to find out that if he's second high bid WHY is the truck not going to him if it's obviously still not there. They gave him some cookie cutter BS answer. He watched that truck cycle four times and went to see if it was the same truck twice. That crap isn't good for business.
Absolutely correct!

I've witnessed this exact pattern of shill bidding on several lots coming out of Nellis AFB.

From what I've read this is a common complaint to the BBB about Government Liquidation.

No doubt they shill bid their own auctions to artificially raise the price.

I know this post is from 2005, but it's still happening to this day. There is absolutely no oversight nor investigations of these allegations by government officials. It definitely stinks of a buddy-buddy good ol' boy system purposely designed to gouge the consumer.

I've watched several auctions & participated in a few as well where the above happened.

ranchhopper

I stopped useing auto bid on an unnamed auction site for this reason for some reason when I win an auction its always at the top of my autobid limit never any lower. There is a lot of shill bidding on ebay now watch some of these guys selling high priced trucks there is always a bid on them but funny thing they reappear a month or two later after the seller figures a fresh new crop of suckers may pay their outrageous prices.

3dAngus

I'm not sure about the conflict of interest where GL would bid on their own assets.

It's also fraudelent, in some circles, though the case can be made they have the right to bid on and own some of their own equipment for resell later.

It would have to be allowable in the govt. contract with GL though. The govt. is in the business of treating everyone evenly, whether an individual, or a contractor. They are not in the business, from a business perspective, to deal with any kind of conflict of interest and that is strictly prohibited, where they have a number of regulations out on it.

I just don't believe the govt. would put up with it, nor would a contractor do it, knowing full well their contract could be pulled and they could go to jail or be fined or both if it were done that way. Again, if written in the contract, as being in the best interest of the govt. for them doing so, that is a different matter. So someone would have to pull the contract and read it.

bigugh20

It's also possible that unscrupulous dealers are driving up the price, not intending to buy the object themselves, but to drive other bidders either out, or to deplete there funds to the point that they will not compete on other items that they want to buy.

Unforgiven

If that were true then the unscrupulous dealer would still have to buy the trucks if they were the high bidder. And if they don't pay they would be suspended.

These trucks show as sold to the highest bidder. Then they reappear later on. I watched it happen with a drop-side Deuce a few months ago. There is zero doubt it was the same truck. It had the same paint, markings, dents, etc. The first time it supposedly sold for 2 grand & something. The next time it sold for over $3500.

Somebody is getting very rich on under-the-table kickbacks.

largeboar

wake up and smell the roses!!!!!

If you get a good deal you can bet your euc will be rejected. If you pay to much because GL used a shil bidder your euc will be miraculously approved. Just by controling whose EUC is submitted assures the outcome. GL will reject your EUC application 10 or 20 times before the DOD see's it. Name one person who has been rejected by DOD and I'll name 10 who never made it out of GL. Look back at your auction results and compare prices and euc times. Any who hasn't had a bad GL experience is suspect.:jumpin:

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just looked up GL on the BBB site. They have a A+. :???:

Of course, I also saw in a news show (20/20, 60 minutes, or something) awhile back that the BBB was corrupt and would give you a better grade for cash.

3dAngus

Do you guys realize this thread is about 4 year old? I didn't.

Talked to a GL guy today. He says GL buys the vehicles for about a penny on the dollar or so, but in name only. Then, they sell it. They do that so GL is on the SF97 and it relieves the government of any responsibility in the transaction, where it becomes between GL and the buyer to work out. Govt. gets a hefty percentage of the sales price. GL gets some to, but not as much. Not everything is a conspiracy.

WE never really landed on the moon.

It was the other side of Mars, where you couldn't see what was REALLY going on.

edpdx

I believe the FIX IS IN alright. Why is it that the much awaited surplus HUMVEES are never going to make it to auction? Because someone struck up a deal with someone to control the sale of these very valuable vehicles. Everyone wants one of these. And while we still get a M series rig for a thousand or two through GL, every civilian is not clamoring for them. But the HUMVEE is so popular with a tremendous COOL FACTOR that someone with connections figured out that if he could control the de-milling of them he could not only set the price to us; but in all likely hood release them to another country to dip into their pockets as well.

Sure, I see cranes and deuces and X-ray tables that they paid a mint for, but no one want them as badly as the all popular HUMVEE.

Are they scratching each other's back on the hill? I'd have to point to Halliburton.

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you guys realize this thread is about 4 year old? I didn't.

Talked to a GL guy today. He says GL buys the vehicles for about a penny on the dollar or so, but in name only. Then, they sell it. They do that so GL is on the SF97 and it relieves the government of any responsibility in the transaction, where it becomes between GL and the buyer to work out. Govt. gets a hefty percentage of the sales price. GL gets some to, but not as much. Not everything is a conspiracy.

WE never really landed on the moon.

It was the other side of Mars, where you couldn't see what was REALLY going on.
Conspiracy theories DIE HARD. They're kinda like ZOMBIES :tin hat:--- - - - - - - - - :jumpin:

QUICK, get me my TIN FOIL HAT ! ! !

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the FIX IS IN alright. Why is it that the much awaited surplus HUMVEES are never going to make it to auction? Because someone struck up a deal with someone to control the sale of these very valuable vehicles. Everyone wants one of these. And while we still get a M series rig for a thousand or two through GL, every civilian is not clamoring for them. But the HUMVEE is so popular with a tremendous COOL FACTOR that someone with connections figured out that if he could control the de-milling of them he could not only set the price to us; but in all likely hood release them to another country to dip into their pockets as well.

Sure, I see cranes and deuces and X-ray tables that they paid a mint for, but no one want them as badly as the all popular MUMMER.

Are they scratching each other's back on the hill? I'd have to point to Halliburton.
The reason for not selling HMMWVs is well documented. The simple fact of the matter is that AM General does not want the trucks in civilian hands for whatever reason. It has nothing to do with GL.

As far as price fixing at GL, In my opinion that is BS. The reason you see some lots go high is that so many end users are buying the surplus. Before GL you could by a show ready M35A2 w/ winch for less than $1000. All sealed bid sales. Now the same vehicle is on the internet for months with thousands of bidders from all over the country looking in. Prices are bound to be higher now.

Its just like ebay.

As far as reruns on GL its just like ebay also. There are going to be many nonpaying bidders. Has happened to me several times on ebay.

Basically the reason for higher prices is the internet. It has brought more consumers into the market.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you get a good deal you can bet your euc will be rejected. If you pay to much because GL used a shil bidder your euc will be miraculously approved. Just by controling whose EUC is submitted assures the outcome. GL will reject your EUC application 10 or 20 times before the DOD see's it. Name one person who has been rejected by DOD and I'll name 10 who never made it out of GL. Look back at your auction results and compare prices and euc times. Any who hasn't had a bad GL experience is suspect.:jumpin:
I have had 1 EUC sent back for correction my first 1 it was due to a error on my part and before I found this site so I didn't have the wisdom of the members here to help guide me thought it . But GL do a very good job of guiding you though it when filling it out if you read what they provide is there even 20 things you can screw up without repeating the same errors .
I know there has been members of this site rejected by the DOD. It would be nice if they provided information on why the rejection happened but they don't. This why I always recommend to anyone thinking about buying from gl to buy a trailer or something inexpensive requiring a EUC in case of denial the default fee is much less than on a truck . The problem with gl is not price fixing it's they just don't care if you don't buy it someone else will .

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you really have a EUC rejected 20 times?

I suppose I must be suspect and in collusion with GL. I guess that is why they"let" me buy a running M35A2 for $700 and several trailers for min. bid.

I am still waiting for my list from GL of what items I am to run the price up on.:lol:

tsstout

The reason for not selling HMMWVs is well documented. The simple fact of the matter is that AM General does not want the trucks in civilian hands for whatever reason. It has nothing to do with GL.

As far as price fixing at GL, In my opinion that is BS. The reason you see some lots go high is that so many end users are buying the surplus. Before GL you could by a show ready M35A2 w/ winch for less than $1000. All sealed bid sales. Now the same vehicle is on the internet for months with thousands of bidders from all over the country looking in. Prices are bound to be higher now.

Its just like ebay.

As far as reruns on GL its just like ebay also. There are going to be many nonpaying bidders. Has happened to me several times on ebay.

Basically the reason for higher prices is the internet. It has brought more consumers into the market.
humm... I don't think AM is making hummers... and the suburban previously known as a hummer is now a foreign car.... So what would the reason be now??

Oh and EBAY promotes shill bidding... It helps their fees go up.... I've turned in MANY people on ebay for doing JUST that.. In fact NOW ebay hides the bidders names... JUST for that reason... I'M SURE!!!!!

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Am General is still manufacturing military HMMWVs. A Suburban has always been a Suburban and has always been manufactured by General Motors. H2 and H3 vehicles were produced by General Motors and marketed under a Hummer brand name. The Hummer brand is no longer in existence foreign or domestic.

If you want to talk surplus HMMWVS I will be happy to assist you. I have been dealing with them since 1999.

Ebay hides bidder names so bidders can not contact one another during auctions.

Zack

Hey guys What is GSA???? IS it a auction also.. if so how do i look it up?? I am looking to buy a deuce as soon as possible.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
www.gsaauctions.gov you can buy excess gov't property. Prices have gone upo there to as more people are looking in. Or maybe they hired the shill bidders to drive up thier values too:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks