• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL question here

Big Z

Looking into trying out GL and see an operational truck at a base a few hours away... Under security procedures, it says "Driver's license, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance." --- would I be right in assuming this is just for the vehicle you are driving into the base? Anything else needed to drive a truck out of the base other than EUC/paid-in-full invoice? Trying to clear up the first-time butterflies.

I have access to a semi/dovetail if that would be of any advantage over just checking and driving. I could always get the dovetail if I broke down en-route; would prefer the truck moved as far as possible under its own power unless I'd have to do time-consuming paperwork to do so.

Thank you

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Documents are required for POV's, persons entering the base. Some bases will not allow you to drive off in your prize, most do allow you to drive off. Best to call the contact number for the site and inquire what the policy is before you bid.

SPCHowe

Drivers license, registration, proof of insurance, and the "paid in full" invoice is all I needed to get onto the local Army post. You should be good with that but like FMJ said, call ahead and make sure.

dozer1

-- would I be right in assuming this is just for the vehicle you are driving into the base?

In my experiences, Yes you are right to assume that. As far as the rig you buy, they want a paid in full invoice and you can drive it home.

Chief_919

Looking into trying out GL and see an operational truck at a base a few hours away... Under security procedures, it says "Driver's license, vehicle registration, and proof of insurance." --- would I be right in assuming this is just for the vehicle you are driving into the base? Anything else needed to drive a truck out of the base other than EUC/paid-in-full invoice? Trying to clear up the first-time butterflies.

I have access to a semi/dovetail if that would be of any advantage over just checking and driving. I could always get the dovetail if I broke down en-route; would prefer the truck moved as far as possible under its own power unless I'd have to do time-consuming paperwork to do so.

Thank you
Tow/Haul it home.

You are buying an unkown truck that you have zero clue about the operating condition of. At a minimum it sat for 3-6 months before the sale, often a year or more, with zero maintenance. During this time it is likely parts were stolen or swapped. If you are a fits time buyer the truck will sit another 1-3 months while you wait for an EUC to clear.

By military standards a truck that has a unkown maintenance history that has sat like that is not considered safe for operation until the annual service/PMCS has been conducted. That means start with the -10 manual, do every step there under PMCS, then go to the -20 manual and do every step there under quarterly, semiannual and annual service.

You can't do that on the lot.

That military guideline is a good safe one for everyone to use when determining if their new GL purchase is ready for the road. It is good for your safety, good to avoid damaging your truck, good to avoid expensive tow bills, and most importantly good for the safety of all the people you are sharing the road with. I have seen GL fresh vehicle where the wheel bearings were shot and they lost wheels, where the brakes were mostly full of water, where the tires had been sitting flat for months and were just pumped up, and they failed 5 miles later- I could go on and on.

In addition you will not have a valid title or registration in your name. You can insure it, but you still won't be legal for highway operation. Are your pockets deep enough to handle the lawsuit if something goes wrong and you hurt somebody and the lawyers drag you into court for operating an unsafe, unregistered, just sold as salvage vehicle on the road? Trust me, the hauling bill is far cheaper than the potential legal bills.

KsM715

If you can go do a preview, do it. If you think the truck is road worthy and can afford to have it break down inrout to home, I say drive it. But alot here will tell you to trailer it home so you can do a "complete" ckeck out at home. Top on the list for driving it home is brakes.

As far as your original question, FMJ has it right. All that paperwork is for the vehicle your driving "on to" the base.

You should always preview anything you buy from anybody!
There could be any number of important parts missing. Always roll UNDER the unit to see that all of the drive line is actually there and in place. I would not be entirely surprised to see an ad that says "vehicle complete" when something like the main transmission is in a box in the bed of the truck.

And as always "Hope you get a good one!" Bob

I have an 1972 M817 that needs a new home. It is complete with minimal rust. :deadhorse:fat lady sings:idea:2cents2cents2cents

e

Forgot to mention this.
When you go to preview the one you will bid on go through the "deliveries" entrance, not "main gate", where you will be able to talk to the personnel that will checking you in when you go to pick up your new prize.

I am in No. Va. The base typically >takes< your driver's lic. and registration long enough to examine them and put you on the "visitors list" and give them back. This takes about 5 mins. They will dog sniff your truck too so leave anything "special" at home. They don't stop you on the way out of Ft Meade. 2cents2cents:razz:
I had a BIG tow truck follow me 45 miles and on arrival at Ft. Meade Md. They had the most recent, expired registration card, same tag #s and all but were not allowed on post. They didn't have the current one. Our tags in Va have expiration date stickers so it was obvious his tags were renewed but Ft Meade wanted the actual up to date card too! They turned him away. Boy was he pissed!
Only one base I know of here checks insurance papers too.

e

Big Z

Thank you for the insight. I'll get ahold of the rep for more particular questions. It'd probably only be an extra $100-150 in fuel for me to take a semi vs taking a car and driving it back.

3dAngus

Whoa guys! We are talking about two different things here. Drivers license, registration, and insurance is the paperwork you need to get on the base or post. Yes.

All drivers in all vehicles on base are required to have insurance in order to drive any vehicle, unless in the military or military service, driving a motor pool vehicle which is insured by the Federal Govt.

This is for the protection of all. You cannot legally drive a deuce or any other vehicle on base without insurance, even if you entered with insurance paperwork on another vehicle.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
We have bought and moved about 15 trucks of various sizes (2.5----14 ton) in the past year from 8 GL locations. Some of them were in great condition, but the majority had problems that would have caused serious problems. The freight charged by a trucker is money well spent. If you have to call a heavy wrecker to pull you from an interstate or for any distance, stand by, you are at their mercy. additionally the liability, DOT, and other legal issues that vary from state to state make driving a heavy vehicle whose condition is unknown a risky proposition. Also be prepared to have your truck searched. The level of security varies from base to base.

Chief_919

Whoa guys! We are talking about two different things here. Drivers license, registration, and insurance is the paperwork you need to get on the base or post. Yes.

All drivers in all vehicles on base are required to have insurance in order to drive any vehicle, unless in the military or military service, driving a motor pool vehicle which is insured by the Federal Govt.

This is for the protection of all. You cannot legally drive a deuce or any other vehicle on base without insurance, even if you entered with insurance paperwork on another vehicle.
Actually- your truck must have valid insurance AND registration to operate on post. Most folks driving a truck off post are not legally operating unless they have some sort of temporary registration from their state and insurance.

Big Z

KW?!???? Better than freightliner I guess...actually this old '75 freightliner is one of my favorites to drive :p My only choice is kitty cat or detroit in a 379. Oh, the agony!

FMJ.... BREAAATHE! I know I ain't pretty. My friends somehow look past it though!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks