• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL 'State Certificate of Title'??

paulfarber

I read this in the terms and conditions:

Terms and Conditions for auction sales at Government Liquidation

"There is a processing fee of $60 for EACH SF97 requested. Customers requiring a state certificate of title will be charged $77.75. GL will determine whether your state requires a state certificate of title or a SF97."

Any idea what states will get the "Certificate of Title" vs an SF97? Seems like for an extra $17.75 its worth it to get a real title (if thats what it is).

It is a State Title? What State?

I'm in PA.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RAT4SPD got a FL title issued by GL on his truck purchased in Iowa. Everyone else that I have heard got a title out of GL had it issued from FL. As I understand it, GL, not the customer, decides if the extra 17 dollars and a title is required.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I applied for an SF-97 around a month ago for a M101A3 trailer that I purchased. I received an AZ title for it and I'm in WV now. I used to get FL titles for the trucks I was buying when living in VA, but I don't think FL does trailer titles so maybe that's why I got an AZ title this time. Anyone else getting AZ titles for trucks? A real state title certainly helps at the DMV's in VA and WV since they won't accept re-assignment of SF-97's.

cornrichard

My stuff is now getting Arizona titles. I got titles on my recent truck purchases and sf-97 on trailers. I am now getting charged sales tax on everything. That bothers me a lot more than the extra money for a real title.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wonder what the difference is on getting the SF-97's for trailers?? When I purchased my ENG-3 lube trailer last year, I couldn't use the automated SF-97 form because it said "No lots in event xxxx require sf-97's" I contacted GL through chat and they told me they didn't issue sf-97's for trailers. Luckily Ohio doesn't require trailer titles if the trailer is under 4000#, so it's no big deal. I'm just curious why some of you are getting sf-97's/titles and I was told they didn't issue them for trailers??????

paulfarber

I can see sales tax.. in PA you have to show proof that you paid it or they will hit you with it anyway (just about every state has a use tax).

One BIG secret about sales tax is that at least in PA, the sales tax is 6%. But since the business has to collect/submit it, they get to keep 1% of the sales tax as a fee for doing so. SO they have a profit motive.

On the average sale price, the sales tax is most likely less than the cost of getting a title out of a SF-97 in some states. The inspection alone for a 'homebuilt' trailer in PA is $95, PLUS title, fees, tags.

stumps

The problem with GL and SF97's is GL owns your vehicle prior to auction, and they have to apply to the government for the SF97. The government will only issue SF97's to the entity that purchased the truck from the government. That means that the SF97 will be assigned to GL!

Ok, why does that matter?

It matters because many states will only allow dealers, registered in their state, to skip over titles.... it's a tax issue... That means that they need GL to title the truck first, and then transfer the title to you. Titling your truck in their name costs GL time and money, so they don't want to do it unless it is absolutely necessary. GL has a list of the titling requirements for each of the 50 states, and the District. If your state requires GL to title the truck first, they will get the necessary paperwork done by a friendly dealer in Florida, and charge you extra. If your state will take an SF97, with a certificate of transfer, they will do that, and charge less.

It isn't up to you which way they go; GL makes the determination. If GL ends up being wrong, and your state refuses what GL gives you, GL will give you a real FL title, signed over to you, and only charge you the $17 difference.

-Chuck

paulfarber

I would GLADLY pay the $17 for a FL title. It save the entire SF-97 process and the cuts out a lot of the BS with VIN rubbings and DMV folks... give them a title, some money, get back back a title, tags, registration.

I did it for my 42 Ford (title was from AZ) and it was so easy I don't remember the process.

My 43 CCKW was bill of sale, so that mean VIN rubbing, title fee, certified scale charge etc etc etc.

I have two trailers (a 43 1 Ton Ben Hur and and a 1/4ton Bantam) that were bought bill of sale.. looking at over $100 to get papers on each. A title would be less than $50.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks