• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL1 or 80W90?

Pappa-G

Whats the difference? Other than one is every where and one is unavailable?
My trans/transfer is producing a whine in high 4-5th gears but not in low range ( leads me to believe its a TC problem) I should have never put a muffler on!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: ~ Pappa-G

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL-1 is reccomended. The additives in 85W90 is reportedly bad for the yellow metals. There are versions of 85w90 that are safe. Tractor suppy places have GL1. I use GL1 simply because I have it and it's reccomended.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope. no problem with lubrication, just the additives reportedly eat away at the yellow metals. Of course I have no first hand knowledge of this.

Pappa-G

Is a transfer case whine at 40mph or better common? when I push in the clutch it goes away, when I let off the throttle it stops for a split second then changes pitch. Makes no noise in low range. ( oil level is good every thing appears fine)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are so many whines and gear noises on there trucks it's hard to tell whats' right and wrong. As long as fluids are up and everything is working as it should, you should be OK. If you have access to one of the laser thermometers, you can heed off truoble by recording and becoming famailiar with the temps of different componenets.

CGarbee

The spec lube is 90w GL1. It is safe for all the bearings, works well, and is cheap... If you do use a GL5 (more modern and usually in a multi-viscosity such at 85w90 or 85w100) make sure that it also meets the MT1 specification. Some GL5 has addititives that are not friendly to yellow metal bearings and such, some GL5 is ok. Problem is that you don't really know. The MT1 specification is used to designate lubes that are yellow metal friendly, so if you use a GL5/MT1 you know that you are ok. It just means that you have to read the text on the back of the bucket...

Good luck.

mhb285

Like Valvoline Gear Oil - High Performance - SAE 80W-90W at Pep Boys. 1 qt.- --API Services: GL-5, MT-1................... I'm going to use it in my steering gear box..
Mike

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks