• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glad I bought a turbo

Boatcarpenter

Had a chance to follow a non-turbo for about 35 miles today all around the area on good secondary roads with quite a few hilly portions. Power difference VERY noticable. He would be down shifting like crazy while I was holding the original gear from the bottom of the hill until I got right on his bumper and would have to slow down also. Could have passed him at will except when he was able to get her up to 55-56 and we were red lined. Would have been a real slug on the hills with max payload I imagine. Turbo may have been to cut down on the smoke but it sure boosted the power.
NO PICTURES. Nothing to take pictures of except the back end of a slow Deuce. :driver:
BC

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This surprises me. The turbo was inteneded to reduce smoke output and any pwr gains were minute. I have owned both and could not tell a difference in pwr or acceleration. Perhaps your friends truck has a tired engine or needs a little more practice. my 2 cents worth

Chuck H

Boatcarpenter

I guess it worked in this case. His truck is essentially the same as mine, 70 Kaiser-Jeep w/w. Has about 410 hours and 4K miles so I don't think it's too tired. Mine has an 85 engine and whistler but no idea how many hours, etc.
Didn't realize the different turbos were designed for different purposes. Thanks Jones!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The #1 reason for turbos are for fuel economy. Ocording to AlfredBuechi the patent holder.The power increase is a side effect. The more air you shove in there the better milage you'll get. Up to a point.

Jones

True, the two go hand in hand.
Although I might exchange "fuel economy" for "fuel efficiency". The more air--the more thorough the combustion; the more fuel per charge burned--the more power or alternately, the less fuel needed to maintain a given power level as generated by a less efficient combustion cycle.

Jones

Not me. I looked at them and wondered what the spool-up and boost was like. The smaller the turbine scroll, the faster and sooner the turbo comes in. Compare a whistler and non-whistler turbo and you'll see that the whistler looks real undersized for the size of the engine. Might not be that big a worry on a deuce but racers usually run two smaller turbos, each off of it's own exh manifold, rather than one large one, for quicker response.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I still say the even the whistler will add maybe 4 to 5 hp at the most. We should have a drag race LOL

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks