• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glossy CUCVs

Pawnshop

I was in an undisclosed DRMO yard yesterday, some of you may recognize it, and I saw several CUCV with semi-gloss paint almost the shade of the Vietnam era trucks. They looke VERY nice and are in the donation que, but I suspect they will get picked up (painted RED) and never make it to GL:( There is also a partialy dissassembled Deuce out there painted the same way, I am wondering where they came from.

Attachments

jay741

what do you mean they will be picked up an painted red. who will pick them up an why painted red??

RangerJake72

nothing wrong with seeing them parceled out by the USFS and picked up by some fire departments and used for low cost brush trucks or utilities

aside from the fact that there will be that many less of these trucks for all the MV enthusiasts to pick up from GL... hmmm, wonder if I can score one

the semi gloss OD paint is a bit different, maybe they were used strickly as base hacks once the trucks were supplanted by hmmvees

Last edited:

Pawnshop

The "donation stream" is where state and local municipalities and fire departments can get vehicles donated to them from the government. The sheets of paper taped to the windshields have the dates that agencies at various levels are eligible to get them. These units appear to be in very good shape so I am sure they will get "adopted" and never make it to GL. The agencies looking for vehicles want trucks they can fire up and drive away, that's why the Deuces that make it to GL (at least around here) all have dead batts (they hit Master Power, get not response, move on to the next truck) Once the fire departments get these CUCV they will likely turn them to brush trucks which means paint them red and put a tank in the bed. Texas has a LOT of brush fires and we are in the grip of the worst drought in recent history so there is a large demand for brush trucks.

As much as I would like to have one, the little one horse FDs around here NEED trucks so they are going to good use.

Last edited:

papercu

There was a LE outfit in Fla. that got into trouble over that. They would take stuff and instead of using it, they would just turn around and sell it.
I was in the yard one day when they came in for a pickup. Suckers had a Semi and lowboy painted in their colors with "POLICE" on the doors and hood and police light bar across the top, Now that was one cool truck. Wayne