• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug and 12/24 Start Relays

GreenBull

I wanted to give a heads up on a relay P/N I used on my M1028. I used Borg Warner GPR7 Glow Plug Relay for both the glow plug and 12/24 start relays. This was a cross reference from the Napa GPR109. Heavy relay and made in the USA. Cost $30.

For the GPs it bolted right up to existing holes. For the 12/24 start I used one original hole and had to drill one hole in the relay bracket. I haven't done it yet but a hitch ball cover and a zip tie will make a good boot to address the exposed terminals. Great spot in the circuit to install a starter kill switch and I will be doing that this week with the boot.

I remounted the diagnostic connector at the right side of the relay bracket facing down and forward using existing holes in the bracket and some #10 bolts and nuts. It's secure and looks good and you can now only see the cap retaining chain below the dash.

davo727

Are those GPR7 relays working good? They are for like 83-91 Ford 7.3 glow plug relay application right? If there doin good for ya im going to install one for my glow plug relay tommorow. I wonder how the amp draws compare between the glow relay and the start relay. Anybody put an amp clamp on them?

I think im going to go with a Borg warner S5049 for the start relay- Its a starter relay for a 97 Ford F350 7.3 diesel.

Oreilly auto prices are $30 for the lifetime GPR7 , and $25 for the lifetime warranty BWD S5049. Or $10 for a 1 yr warranty 5049.

Today I put new alt and power steer belts, glow plugs and fixed some wiring issues- misc new terminal ends, and yanked the old crusty GPR off. Going to get it buttoned back up tommorrow with new relays.

usmcpatriot

Which wires go were????? please pic I'm 0311 not no eeeellllleeeecccttttrrriiiaaannn...installing GPR looks like sphagetti!!!!!! I got a M 1008 Napa ST 85:( THXS BRO

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks