• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug changing-tdc per cylinder?

dskupi01

A bunch of questions:
i need to change glow plugs. Only one is bad (hardest one under the alternator, not surprising), but cheap enough i will replace them all.

1. With the risk of breaking one on extraction and putting a chunk into the cylinder(past the pre-combustion chamber), is it worth the effort to put each cylinder into tdc prior to pulling plug with the good extraction tool?
2. If only one plug is bad, are the odds of the others coming out easy increased? In other words, if they test well, likely unswollen?
3. Can you find tdc for cylinder 1 without opening anything up (pulling injector, rocker cover, etc). I know the timing mark on the damper, but can you tell tdc from 360 from tdc? Any suggestions. Once i know tdc for #1, i am all set on the others.
4. Conductive anti-seize? I was going to use it.
5. Another random question. I wanted to no start crank the engine after i replaced the power booster. I disconnected the wire to the fuel solenoid (54a i think-slow). Engine started. How do you no start crank engine? This is not for tdc question. I will use a breaker bar to turn the engine. Just a random question.

papakb

The fact that your engine started with the 54a wire pulled could be an indication of a problem with the IP. Are you sure you pulled the fuel shutoff wire and not the cold advance solenoid? The truck shouldn't start with that wire disconnected and it's what lots of HMMWV owners use as a security measure.

Personally I don't think it's necessary to replace all your glow plugs just because one of them is bad no matter what they cost. The agravation and knuckle damage changing them all incurs isn't worth it. Those #7 and #8 glow plugs are real knuckle busters.

Usually when a plug breaks off it falls into the pre-combustion chamber and can be fished out through the injector hole. They usually don't make it all the way into the cylinder so I don't feel it's worth the trouble to rotate the engine to TDC for the glow plugs.

Last edited:

dskupi01

I will double check wire pulled, and try it again. There were two wires, next time both (although labelled).

I didn’t think the plug under the alternator (i have 200amp) looked too bad, looking at it from underneath. I believe all who have already done it to know it will be tough, and report back.

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Why is there not a Sticky on changing out glow plugs?
Tools and expertise necessary explained.

Somebody should do that one for Christmas
Without the human knuckle damage, broke plugs,
and such as that would help many.
Lots of broke HMMWV here and many more on the way.

One could add this in there...
Just make certain that they are the Humvee bullet style - 24V,
use the tool from JJ & A Racing products, makes it easy to pull out the swollen plugs
Oh never mind, it is no longer for sale.

ikoinu

https://real4wd.com/store/Glow-Plug-Removal-Tool

Bought that one from Kascar, as the one mentioned 2 posts above was no longer available.

Changed mine the other day, but didn't need it as they weren't swollen, just dead.

Additionally, built and installed my new manual glow plug setup. Works like a charm, no more stupid - box problems. When I get some free time from work, I'll do the write up with pictures, part numbers, and a walk through.

Last edited:

Bradyrw625

For broken plugs: I used to remove the injector, put bent forceps in to grab the glow plug from inside. Then I’d tap the glow plug from the outside. It would pop through and the other half would be on the forceps.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks