• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug connectors?

fal_shooter

I purchased a set of G70 glow plugs for my 86 M1008 and they have spade connectors. After I got them I noticed the glow plugs in the truck have bullet(?) connectors. I guess the military uses both types because the truck came off of the military base that way.

From what my mechanic friend said the spade type connector is the standard these days and I should keep the plugs I just bought and replace the connectors with space connectors. I don't know nuttin so I guess I will change the connectors like he said.

What spade connectors do I use and where do I get them? Is insulated the best to use? Should I change to spade or try to find glow plugs that use the bullet connector?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I suggest you replace your connectors with, Insulated 1/4" female spade terminals, and use the GPs that you just bought.

The original terminals were actually 3/16" female spade terminal(insulated).

The 1/4" terminals with work fine with either 3/16" or 1/4" blades on the glow plugs.

The round(bullet) terminals/GPs, are for Humvees, not cucvs.

You can find the terminals at an Ace Hardware store or Lowes/HomeDepots.

Attachments

Last edited:

mangus580

If you have bullet connectors in the truck, someone put the 24v humvee plugs in there. you might want to make sure the wiring hasnt been modified to accommodate them.

86M10086.2L

If you have bullet connectors in the truck, someone put the 24v humvee plugs in there. you might want to make sure the wiring hasnt been modified to accommodate them.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I can be. But shouldn't the wellman G070's be 24 volt as well. Which is why you can't use Ac Delco 60G's or other civilian glow plugs unless you convert to a 12 volt electric system?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Please correct me if I'm wrong, because I can be. But shouldn't the wellman G070's be 24 volt as well. Which is why you can't use Ac Delco 60G's or other civilian glow plugs unless you convert to a 12 volt electric system?
Incorrect! The cucv(originally) uses a 12V glow plug. Wellman 070 are 12V and have a 3/16" blade terminal. Wellman 050 are 12V and have a 1/4" blade terminal.

AC60G is 12V and has a 1/4" blade terminal.

The wellman 070 is the only gp that comes with the correct blade terminal(for the original wire harness connectors).

Personally, I like the idea of replacing the original terminals with NEW 1/4" female blade terminals(insulated). That will give you NEW terminals for the best possible connection. Also lets you use other brands of glow plugs that are readilly available, locally.

The wellmans do "test" as faster and hotter, but in most cases, I doubt you will ever really notice a difference.

Here's a chart from the Wellman site, with comparison times and temps. http://www.wellmanautomotive.com/pdf/go50.pdf

The Humvee uses a wellman 115, it is 24V and has a bullet terminal/connector.

Here's a link to INDUSADIST. They are a major distributor of Wellman products. It is owned by Chuck Gillis. http://www.indusadist.com/web_site_new_2008_005.htm

FWIW, I have seen a variety of brands(including AC, Bosch, Wellman, Autolite), "Swell", so don't be fooled by anyone's advertising.
The term"self limiting" is also a misleading term used. Chuck will tell you that you cannot indefinitely leave the power applied to the Wellman gp's. The time and temp results(link above) exceeds the time they will normally operate for, without burning out(and swelling).
Just for reference, 15 seconds at 12V seems to be a safe maximum, for those using a push button control.

Last edited:

CUCV85

Read

I purchased a set of G70 glow plugs for my 86 M1008 and they have spade connectors. After I got them I noticed the glow plugs in the truck have bullet(?) connectors. I guess the military uses both types because the truck came off of the military base that way.

From what my mechanic friend said the spade type connector is the standard these days and I should keep the plugs I just bought and replace the connectors with space connectors. I don't know nuttin so I guess I will change the connectors like he said.

What spade connectors do I use and where do I get them? Is insulated the best to use? Should I change to spade or try to find glow plugs that use the bullet connector?

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.
READ THIS THREAD. Change the ends to either 3/16"
or the more common 1/4"