• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug control box question

Thumper580

Excluding the Camoteksystems box, I was wondering if HMMWV's with the 400amp alternator would use any special or distinct smart start box and tsu. My M1123 A2 came with a 400amp alternator so I assume it has the upgraded wiring, etc. as you can't pass 400amps through the control box? Is this correct or am I confused (again)..... Looking at what my options are... or aren't. Thanks.

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 200 or 400A alternators have little to nothing to do with the EESS box but for the fact the EESS box excites the alternator you are good.
The only real difference is the 400A has two large cables going to the battery instead of one (I believe the "extra" cable actually goes to the starter, same smell)

Thumper580

The 200 or 400A alternators have little to nothing to do with the EESS box but for the fact the EESS box excites the alternator you are good.
The only real difference is the 400A has two large cables going to the battery instead of one (I believe the "extra" cable actually goes to the starter, same smell)
So then any mainstream startbox/tsu is acceptable?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes as long as the TSU matches the EESS/PCB, some EESS boxes do not need a TSU

Milcommoguy

Supporting Vendor
All the boxes excite the alternator in the same way. Yes, the 60 Amp alternators output does pass thru the box. (another HumV brain fart)

All others alternator outputs are direct connections to the batteries with the big fat wires. Technical description.

So... you're not Con-Fused, CAMO

Camoteksystems.com