• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

glow plug controller card

CCATLETT1984

Does anyone know where i can get a replacement card for my m1008 ( the one under the dash in a black box)? Mine has a burned chip on it. I don't want to convert it to a manual glow system, I just want to get a new card. I also would like to know where I can get another glow plug relay( mounted on the firewall, next to the brake booster)

Dieselsmoke

Front Line Military Vehicles used to have them, he had a bunch so probably still has some. I bought a few spares from him but luckily haven't needed them.

dilvoy

I bought a couple of those relays from Saturn Surplus. I parted out a 1988 gas Chevy crew cab truck and it had the same relay that is used for the glow plugs on the CUCV. The relay I am talking about was mounted on the passenger side on the firewall. I do not remember what it was used for. This vehicle had no A/C, but it did have dual tanks. It could have been a relay for the fuel selector valve.

Warren Lovell

When I was working for NAPA, we used to supply MCRD and NTC. THe relays kept going out on the M1008 and M1009s. Finally, one of the mechanics took the box apart and fopund we could get the relays from Napa for a lot less thatn the replacement box cost. I'll talk to my friend, who was the sales rep for the Navy and see if I can get the part numbers for the relays.

Warren

85-m1028

there was or is one on e-bay brand new, you may want to check your fuses and make you got the right ones in the right places the controler card is pretty isolated from engine electrics except for the two wires that go to the relay, check those for voltage too. Make sure the dropping resistor is only letting through 14-18 volts, otherwise you may just buy that new card and fry it all over again [thumbzup]

mangus580

you can also bypass the resistors.... BUT, you will be running glow plugs from one battery only!!!!!!!

If you find the wire that feeds the resistors from the bus-bar on the firewall, and move it to the front battery, you can take the resistors out. Their job is to take 24v to 12v. the reason this was done, was to spread the load across both batteries.

mangus580

Like I said, it will put more strain on one battery, but if your truck starts decent, you should never notice. Wont hurt the relay or the glow plugs. It still functions properly. It will just 'drain' the one battery some in a sense, as you are only using one for the glow plugs. There is discussion on this same setup someplace here on this board I believe.

85-m1028

I had my glow plugs set up on one batt for a while and it does work but there is some extra strain on that one batt and it could shorten the life of it, I am running optima yellow tops so I figured it could handle it for a couple of months until I got 12v stater and did the conversion!! now it starts even better and the alts don't squeal anymore [thumbzup]

Milspec

If you want to keep the vehicle original, the part # is 12034592 ( as per the T.O.) for the glow plug controller module and is still available through either the dealership or GMpartsdirect.

GMpartsdirect seems to be the cheapest and will cost about $100.00 including shipping. I'm in MD and I just ordered another one tonight for $98.89 total including shipping and handling.

Milspec

mangus580

If anyone has a bad one.... I would like to try and rebuild one. Mine is still functional, but if anyone would be willing to send me a bad one, please PM me.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks