• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug Controllers and Burnt Hot Pockets..

rivercreek

I'll preface with an apology. I know that there have been more glow plug questions than probably any other subject in this forum. I've spent the last two hours thread cruising with no clear solution to or explanation of my particular problem. Facts: 88' M1008. 12V conversion complete months ago, suddenly glow plugs inop. After testing, found bad GP relay. No big deal - replaced relay, truck starts right up. Job well done, I say to self. While spraying new relay connections with terminal protector prior to closing the hood and calling it a day, notice burnt smell (perhaps not suprisingly like burning plastic) and smoke inside cab. I immediately shut truck off, grab 9/16" wrench and proceed to remove + battery cables from all 3 batteries in what I believe to be world record speed. Death by fire averted, I grab flashlight and pretzel myself under dash to see what's cooking. Glow plug controller toasted like an overcooked hot pocket. Both chips on board fried. Current status: 1). Shop smells like a still wrapped toaster strudel got tossed in an oven set on broil and forgotten about. 2). All shop doors open to eliminate aforementioned cooked while wrapped and forgotten about burnt strudel stank - it's cold, increasingly windy, and raining. 3). Self pissed right off. I understand this isn't the place to write novels, but I needed to vent a bit (literally). That said, continuation of facts as follows:

1). GP controller is obviously removed from truck at present.
2). Glow plugs receiving 12V power with ign on.
3). Relay is not activating (No power with or without ign on from orange wire output). 12V+ battery current is present at top post of solenoid.
4). With ign off, both blue and pink (signal) wires to solenoid are grounded. With ign on, both blue and pink wires to solenoid are hot.
4). With 12V+ battery input to GP solenoid REMOVED from solenoid, still receiving 12V power to glow plugs with ign on.

Thus my quandry. When I first discovered GP controller was char-broiled, I said to self: “Self, screw it. Replace that stupid half baked idiotic stinky controller with a manual momentary like you’ve read 197, 472 times on Steel Soldiers. All you have to do is ground the blue wire through a switch, and here you are getting yourself all worked up over one measly and unnecessary $150.00 glow plug controller… Weeell, as usual, the plot thickens.. I do not understand how the above is possible. According to the schematic, it appears that the only route for power to the glow plugs is through the GP solenoid. Power has certainly bypassed that, as all four wires that are supposed to be attached to it are currently flapping in the increasingly cold wind blowing through my shop at present while the only toasty thing in the vicinity appear to be 8 little glow plugs that have found some magic invisible 12V power source. I cannot locate any areas of burnt wire harness where perhaps something is shorting, besides the fact that the battery power to the GP relay is fused at 30A (Didn’t blow). Anyone have any ideas ??:deadhorse::lost::hammer::doh::rant::soapbox::drool::cookoo::confused:
auaaua

dstang97

Possible glow plug sensor? When it was working correctly how long was the relay staying on for? should be about 10 seconds. Also many of us have had are cards burnt. Now you can get brand new ones for $70. Contact 1stsarge or antennaclimber. Only use a push button in emergencies. fix it like it came from the factory

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What relay did you install? They are not all the same... If new relay does not have an isolated coil, that could fry your controller card and cause them to come on and stay on.

The controller card simply switches/supplies the GP relay with ground to cycle the GPs. The relay always has 12v on one side of the coil.

Was your voltage sense wire on the GP side of the relay?

Last edited:

rivercreek

Aha Doghead, could very well be an incorrect new relay. I apparently made an incorrect assumption that I could use any old 4 post 12V relay. I will check that. That said, how could I possibly be getting power to glow plugs on ign without power to the relay? I'd be happy to post pics, but I'm not sure what I could illustrate with pics besides the burnt card and disconnected solenoid.
Dstang - yes, glowplugs seemed to be working fine previously for months. the cycle did seem a bit longer than 10 seconds though.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is always power(12V +) on one of the small terminals. The other one gets grounded by the controller to operate the relay.

If your new relay has continuity between either small terminal and the mount/chassis, then you have the wrong relay.

Last edited:

tbearatkin

Aha Doghead, could very well be an incorrect new relay. I apparently made an incorrect assumption that I could use any old 4 post 12V relay. I will check that. That said, how could I possibly be getting power to glow plugs on ign without power to the relay? I'd be happy to post pics, but I'm not sure what I could illustrate with pics besides the burnt card and disconnected solenoid.
Dstang - yes, glowplugs seemed to be working fine previously for months. the cycle did seem a bit longer than 10 seconds though.

Close up picture of the relay may help determine if you have the wrong relay or the wires backward. Unless something else is really hooked up wrong you Glow Plugs get their power from the bottom lug of the relay. So if you have power at the top lug and the bottom lug without the pc card you might have a fried relay as well or a ground issue somewhere.

I am no expert as I was reading your issues in the first post first thought was wrong relay was installed and then as close to an expert that I have found, on here for the CUCV, Mr Doghead chimed in and mentioned that could be the issue.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks