• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

glow plug for hvmee in m1009

jwaller

sure you can put them in but they wont work. hmmwv plugs have a round connector on the end and cucv's have a flat spade connector.

Wolf.Dose

To our experiance here you can use any HUMMVEE glow plugs. They are all 24 Volts. You have to modify the connecting harness. HUMMVE glow plugs have a regulator built in, M1009 glow plugs not, this stuff is in the glow plug control, as long as it works (Never over 120000 miles to European experiance.)
24V glow plugs are a considerable change, if you change the pre glow sysrtm as well. The registor is obsolute, the harness should be home made for the 12/2.8 Volt stuff is unuseable. The pre glow module than also is for the trash.
Try hard!
Wolf

acesneights1

Hmmm... I wonder what was done to mine ? Someone made connectors and put round ones in my CUCV. I gotta put a volt meter on them. I got a feeling the idiots at fleet Main put the wrong glows in and made them fit.

AllenEM

To our experiance here you can use any HUMMVEE glow plugs. They are all 24 Volts. You have to modify the connecting harness. HUMMVE glow plugs have a regulator built in, M1009 glow plugs not, this stuff is in the glow plug control, as long as it works (Never over 120000 miles to European experiance.)
24V glow plugs are a considerable change, if you change the pre glow sysrtm as well. The registor is obsolute, the harness should be home made for the 12/2.8 Volt stuff is unuseable. The pre glow module than also is for the trash.
Try hard!
Wolf
pre glow system? what is that. If I change the connect to the round and remove the restor pack and run 24 volts to the glows wouldn't that work?

WorkingDeuce

Hmmm, 24V glowplug conversion and upgrade from the dumb CUCV 12v box in the process(wheels turning).

Oh well might as well throw an Optimizer 6500 in there while we are at it(sarcasm).

The M998 system is longer lasting and more reliable in cold weather,right?

Maybe AllenEM can break new ground for us after acesneights1 posts a pic of his fine piece of motorpool mechanic engineering:-D

The maintenance budget for M1008/M1009 has been ZERO for how many years? If they were still using them they would have to have come up with something from the existing parts pipeline just to keep them running,eh?

AllenEM

well I installed the 24v glow plugs bypassed the restor bank and installed a push button. now I not getting voltage thru the relay.:evil: I not 100% that the relay worked before because all but one glow plug looked good. going to get new relay this week sometime.

jwaller

HUMVEE glow plugs are working great now that i have a good relay. push the button for 5-7 sec and she fires right up. :p
thats great to hear. now make sure you keep the as cool as you can. don't overheat them. about once a month take your ohm meter and check them all too see if you have 1 going bad. you will notice is will slowly get harder to start. thats the way my hmmwv works.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks