• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

glow plug in 3 cylnder Detroit Diesel

Zeek

I have an 1952 M37 with a 3 cylnder Detroit (3-52). How do I wire the glow plug? Do I go from the battery to push button to glow plug or does it have to go through a coil before it goes to the glow plug? How do I hook it up to make it hot?
thanks for any help! Tom

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
3-52? Glow Plugs?

Blood_of_Tyrants

Because of the current that glow plugs draw, I would go with a pushbutton connected to a heavy duty relay such as one from an old Ford starter circuit. You should be able to get one for $15 or so at any auto parts store. Wire from battery to one large relay terminal and then wire from the other large terminal to the glow plugs. Wire the pushbutton so that it gets it's hot only when the ignition key is on. I would use a stranded #12 wire for the glow plugs and #14 or #16 for the pushbutton. Don't forget fuses. Find out what the current draw is for one glow plug and then multiply by three. Multiply that current by 1.5 and that is the maximum size of your fuse. Max current for a #12 wire is 23 amps.

davidkroberts

352? Glow Plug?

if your speaking of the detroit diesel 353 that shouldnt be a glow plug its a weed-eater 2 stroke spark plug. The 353 had a spark plug on the number 2 cylinder ( i think if memory serves correctly) that had its own little coil and operated kinda like a glowplug to aid in starting.

nattieleather

I was going to say isn't that a spark plug to kind of help in cold weather. It doesn't heat the cylinder like the chevy CUCV/HMMWV glow plugs do, but helps to fire or burn the fuel so that the motor heats up faster and runs on it's own. Or at least that is how it was explained to me many moons ago.

Zeek

glow plug or spark plug

Hay Guys
Thanks for all the information so far. Now we are that this is not a glow plug but a sort of spark plug, how do I hook it up to make it work?
Zeek

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks