• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

glow plug info

hochimin

recently purchased a 1987 M998 with 6.2 it doesnt like to start cold but when hot starts right up so thinking glow plugs,what are the best ones to purchase and where would be the best place to get them ? what are the chances of them coming out or breaking off,thanks for ant help

BLK HMMWV

They are all over that internet site E---. Make sure you get 24 volt ones because the civi model was all 12 volts.
If you don't want to deal with the internet site then Kascar or Hummer parts guy. look for non swelling type.
Hit and miss on them coming out without breaking off. If you want you can buy the swollen glow plug removal tool ahead of time or perhaps someone SS member close to you here on the boards that has one will loan one too you.
Do a quick resistance check with an ohm meter on each plug it might show if there bad or not. Id still replace all of them while your at it if only a couple are bad.

therooster2001

^^

GREAT advice on Ohming them out. Mine started right up, but 1 plug was dead. I was lucky and didn't need the puller for my dead one, but again, solid advice on the removal tool. If you are going to pull more than one, just get the tool.

owensexport

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always replace glow plugs as a set. If one or more is burned out, the remaining plugs have been getting a
higher voltage on them and are on the way out as well.

therooster2001

Replacing as a set is a debated subject. Here's what I've found:

Replacing as a set sets the clock, so mean time to fail is known. If they are reaching their useful life, some are not far behind.

Ease of the job. Do them all once, and done. Piece of mind.

Unknown grounding or potential issue with EESS, start with all known goods. Don't mess around here.

If one fails, it could be faulty manufacturing, or Infant mortality. It's just fine to replace one at a time. The A1 troubleshooting guide advises the Ohm method to find them, and advises replacing any one plug that doesn't ohm at 1.5-5.

If one or more is faulty, the total draw on the system drops by approx 11.25 per plug. (another way to see if you have a faulty plug). So measure the amp draw on batteries, properly functioning plugs while cycling should be 90 amp.

So mixed bag on a set..it depends on your records, history of the issue, the job and the issue at hand.

It won't hurt to change out one vs a set.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks