• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug issue engine hot

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it has only been say 1 hour since fully warmed up you should not need glow plugs, does the temp register at all when this happens?
It may be some other issue like the run solenoid not picking up when the IP is at a particular temp.
Describe in detail the symptoms when it fails, does it try at all to fire? do you get smoke out of the tailpipe?
You might try tapping on the IP when it will not start with the run switch in run, then switch to start.
Remember to wait 90 seconds every time you turn the run switch to off before trying again.

taskunitbruiser

Try the other temp sensor? Smart box sucks? Again, it works perfect if engine is cold. If less than maybe 30 mins, engine is still hot enough to not matter. I tried today at about the 75 min mark and it did not want to start.

taskunitbruiser

If it has only been say 1 hour since fully warmed up you should not need glow plugs, does the temp register at all when this happens?
The wait light quickly flashes off, but (depending on the ambient air temp) it will start because it is actually warm.

Today the air was in the 50s F and 75 mins was long enough for it to cool and not want to start, but not long enough to cool so much that the wait light fires the glow plugs normally.

It may be some other issue like the run solenoid not picking up when the IP is at a particular temp.
Is this inside the smart box?

Describe in detail the symptoms when it fails, does it try at all to fire? do you get smoke out of the tailpipe?
I have not specifically looked for smoke, but I do not think it smokes. The wait light flashes unless the engine is completely cold. If 1 hour + then it has cooled enough to be a very difficult start. Long extended battery drain and starter engagement. With the cooler weather somewhere 2-3 hours plus and it has cooled to the point of working great again. Fires right up on 20-30F morning cold starts.

You might try tapping on the IP when it will not start with the run switch in run, then switch to start.
Remember to wait 90 seconds every time you turn the run switch to off before trying again.
What is the IP?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The IP is the injection pump on the engine. look for smoke and do not grind continuously on the starter.
If you are getting fuel but the engine is not hot enough it should smoke when trying to start.
The wait light just flashing on and off is normal if the PCB thinks the engine is warm enough

taskunitbruiser

Are you getting this fully warmed up as in driving it?
Yes. I have both driven it to operating temp (via dash gauge) and let it idle to operating temp. Wait light quickly flashes if shutting it off after a warm up when restarting. This should be normal. The engine starts well if under, say, 30 mins [i.e. still hot]. That 1-3 hour mark, depending on ambient temp and just my estimate, is the troublesome timeframe. After that time, wait light stays on for maybe 10 secs and it starts beautifully.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks