• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug leads

cfish

Quick question. I bought the AC60G GP's to replace in my m1009. I know the tips/leads are larger on the 60G's then the stock ones. What are the ramifications of filing down the leads on the 60g's to fit the stock connectors? Will it have an effect on the current flowing to the plugs? Or will they work just fine?

OL AG '89

Just changed mine, grind em till they fit.....
I used a grinding wheel and the first one was a learning experience.....:mad:
I had to go back to oreilly and purchase another!!!!
but now I have spare I will put somewhere so I cant find it when I need it!!!
Grandpa always said EASY DOES IT!!!

mtn man

work on 2 CUCV's and just put GP's in one... decided to put new conectors that would fit the AC plugs. They work great and figured with my metal working skills I would be better off. If I replace them on truck 2 I will do the same GP's and new connectors but will use a bit of heat shrink on each one to 'keep it neat'

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
1/4" female terminal. I like to use the ones that have a plastic cover on them.

Or CUCVElectric.com has new ones for the modified terminals.

edpdx

:ditto:that. I just replaced my Glow plugs yesterday. I was all set to grind the tabs on them down to fit the stock connectors when I ran across a thread here about weakening the GP spades by grinding them so close to the hole in the center of each one...

So, I opted to buy a bag of the 1/4" Covered female connectors at Knecht's. I found some with the "FLAG" designation that indicates that the wire will come off the rear of the connector at 90 degrees. The crimp is very easy to achieve on these too. They have a lower profile now and are less prone to wear/breakage through unintended bumping when working near them.

Incidentally, the 60G Delcos went in without a hitch- no swelling to report.

NOTE: Because the wiring to the GP connectors is hidden inside of a common loom, I recommend using masking tape or adhesive backed labels to create wire markers and mark each pair- hate to have to trace a mixed-up pair. :cry:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The wires are not position dependant(they can go to any GP they reach).

edpdx

Code:
The wires are not position dependent (they can go to any GP they reach).
Something new everyday. I am writing that down where I can see it.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been looking locally for the correct double barrel crimp glow plug connector. I went to Autozone, Carquest, Radio Shack, etc with no luck - I happened to see a Chevrolet dealership and I thought, what the heck, why not. I went in and asked for a glow plug connector for a 1984 Chevy K30 with a 6.2L J code diesel.

I understood that I was in a dealership, but I was blown away by what they said. Part # 15320904, which is the glow plug connector terminal is $67.84 per. About $593 after tax for 8 glow plug connectors. I said almost $600 would buy thousands of them, not 8. The guy kinda shrugged.

Wow!

I did find them and order them this morning from O'Reilly's. I think they're hard to find because the double barrel crimp is not a "consumer" level item for the most part.

On a side note, Radio Shack used to be cool. Now its just phones, computers, and crappy RC boats. They have to know your address, life story, and names of your kids just to sell you something and act like its not weird to ask those things.

I have been looking locally for the correct double barrel crimp glow plug connector. I went to Autozone, Carquest, Radio Shack, etc with no luck - I happened to see a Chevrolet dealership and I thought, what the heck, why not. I went in and asked for a glow plug connector for a 1984 Chevy K30 with a 6.2L J code diesel.

I understood that I was in a dealership, but I was blown away by what they said. Part # 15320904, which is the glow plug connector terminal is $67.84 per. About $593 after tax for 8 glow plug connectors. I said almost $600 would buy thousands of them, not 8. The guy kinda shrugged.

Wow!

I did find them and order them this morning from O'Reilly's. I think they're hard to find because the double barrel crimp is not a "consumer" level item for the most part.

On a side note, Radio Shack used to be cool. Now its just phones, computers, and crappy RC boats. They have to know your address, life story, and names of your kids just to sell you something and act like its not weird to ask those things.

$68ea? Are you sure that's not the whole GP wiring harness?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks