• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

glow plug module switch

jfmrj

I just got a 85' m1009 and the glow plug module was missing. I had a guy wire in a bypass button at a army surplus shop. It still doesn't start. I put a volt meter on the solenoid and its getting 24 volts. The solenoid looks like a old style ford one. I was thinking that it should be 12 volts. Is this right or wrong? Also when I put the meter on one of the glow plug wires it reads less than 4 volts when the button is pressed. I'm not really good with the wiring so if someone had detailed instructions on how to properly wire in the button it would be greatly appreciated. Pictures would be helpful as well.

ida34

We should have a cucv glow plug problems forum. Check the glow plugs. Use a test light with the alligator clip attached to the positive of the front battery. Disconnect the glow plug connector and touch the terminal on the glow plug. If the test light does not light then the glow plug is bad and needs to be replaced. You should see around 12 volts at the glow plug terminal but this is with all the glow plugs working. The resister on the firewall is designed to take 24 volts in and give 12 volts out to the glow plugs. When a plug stops working the load on the resister changes and the output voltage climbs. This increased voltage usually takes out the next weak glow plug allowing more voltage and more voltage takes out the next plug and so on until they are all burned out. I had a terminal fall off a plug. I thing started slower and slower. I checked and 3 plugs were burned out all because one terminal fell off and created the over voltage. I am not really sure why you would only see 4 volts at a terminal unless your resister is somehow messed up. Also try a search as this topic comes up about once a month or so.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks