• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

glow plug problems

1986chevycucvm1008

Need help! I have power going to my glow plugs but the plugs will not heat up. What can use this problem i have 8 brand new ac delco 60g plugs i do not know much about diesels much less a cucv

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have you watched the GP Operations video in the CUCV Helpful Threads sticky?

Also have you fixed your battery cable problem?

dmetalmiki

Take off one of the wires to a heater plug. Put it to a single contact bulb, (earth the case) and when you switch on (you need an assistant obviously) Time the how long the light stays on. If it goes out after a very brief time it is the glow plug timer that is faulty. On my F350 that was my fault, and I wired the heater relay to a switch in the cab so that I (can) time the actual heating period. just my 1penneth. good luck, keep us informed, though hopefully some others with this actual vehicle fault might step in with some advice.

dmetalmiki

As a P.S. I think I would have someone switch on whilst I held a removed heater plug to earth and then observe it it glows up for the required time visually.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are aware that the TM 9-2320-289-20 Tech Manual has a step-by-step procedure to test you glow plug system. It does require a multimeter.

You test the glow plugs and then the controller.

Very likely your plugs are bad.

CAMO21

we had a number of these 1986 trucks and the glow plugs never worked. Our mechanic ran a 3/4 heater tube from a grille opening to the air intake. any
time the truck was sitting for a while we just gave it a small shot od either into the tube .Worked great!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks