• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug question

DeuceNewb

My hmmwv glow plugs are no longer working and I'm frustrated. At first, the light would blink the entire time during the wait period, but once it stopped flashing the truck would start, although running rough for a few seconds. I assumed and was told this was because of some bad glow plugs. I was told once I replaced all the glow plugs it would stop flashing and go back to normal. I replaced all 8 with new ones, and it made no difference. Still flashed but when the truck started it was running smoother than usual, so I assumed I would be alright. Drove it home and the next day went to move it and now the glow plug light comes on for only a fraction of a second, one tiny blip, then nothing. And the truck no longer starts.

The box under the dash has a yellow sticker that says KDS controls engine electrical start system with only only wire plug. I would swap it out with my other truck but that one is a different one with a smaller white sticker and an additional circular port with nothing attached to it.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My wait light would only stay on for a nano second and barely visible. I took a parts gamble and just changed the glow plug temp sensor with a used take out from epay. Works like it supposed to and easy fix with an 1-1/2 socket. All is good. Mine came from Unatil? with a Make offer option . There are all over epay from $25-60

There is a specific troubleshooting flow chart in the tm but I just went for it as many threads and many were solved by changing out the sensor. YMMV.

A beer is only required if successful :)

snowtrac nome

sounds like a sensor issue there are different glow plug controllers based on what box you have the kds box I believe uses the yellow band controller. Also ensure the engine is properly grounded, the 6.2's and 6.5's were notorious for dissimilar corrosion on the bolts running through the intake manifolds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks